Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 4/14: Weller Special Reserve

Can only find OWA in NJ.

Enthusiast

I think this one gets overlooked compared to OWA107 and W12, without good reason. I know that higher proof or age trumps this one, but sometimes I find this one to be a great value pour compared to any of the other 90 proof wheaters. If anything, WSR is much, much better than Maker's Mark and at a much lower price point. In fact, I have found Maker's quality to be going downhill while WSR has continued to maintain its sweet and juicy profile, probably because it continues to get overlooked. I really enjoy its profile for when I want to sip on something lighter and think I will have some tonight!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    I think this one gets overlooked compared to OWA107 and W12, without good reason. I know that higher proof or age trumps this one, but sometimes I find this one to be a great value pour compared to any of the other 90 proof wheaters. If anything, WSR is much, much better than Maker's Mark and at a much lower price point. In fact, I have found Maker's quality to be going downhill while WSR has continued to maintain its sweet and juicy profile, probably because it continues to get overlooked. I really enjoy its profile for when I want to sip on something lighter and think I will have some tonight!
    I'd have to disagree. If we are talking NAS WSR available now and not the 7 year or even the very first NAS stuff they produced, then Maker's is far better than current WSR. Maker's compared to current NAS WSR (maybe 5 years I would guess) is far more complex. Current NAS WSR is astringent, then brown sugar, then nothing..

But of course that is just my two cents.

Virtuoso

Shadow of it's former self. Happy that I picked up a couple age stated bottles when the time came.

For some reason, I find this better drinking after another bourbon, and not starting with this. Not sure why, but at times the order of drinking does make a marked difference.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Enthusiast

I bought a bottle fairly early in my bourbon immersion, and it was one of the first ones I found lacking. Not bad, just bland. After a few tries I decided to experiment, and vatted it with some Bulleit (the bourbon, not the rye). The result was better then either of them individually, at least to my taste buds, which is all that counts (to me).

Recently bought another bottle, it's unopened in the bunker. My bourbon palate is probably a bit more sophisticated now so I thought I'd give WSR another shot on its own. I'm not terribly optimistic though, since I thought it was bland the first time around.

Virtuoso

Young and low proof are anathema to wheaters in my humble opinion. You need age, proof or preferably both to make the wheated bourbon really sing. I stashed a 1.5L of this at my folks after I stumbled upon a 7yr age stated version and it's ok as a sippin' whiskey or mixer when visiting. With that said I am on board with Joe and others who suggest bagging this iteration altogether and letting the bourbon age (stated) to the 8-10 yr range and release at 100+ proof. If such a beast existed for $25-30 and was readily available, I would be ecstatic.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Advanced Taster

I prefer the store select bottles of WSR, but will pick up a standard NAS bottle from time to time. A decent value bourbon, though a little hot/young. Not even vatting it with W12 will smooth out all the rough edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    I've had a number of store selection bottles, both NAS and age stated, that to me were very good. Sure, a little higher proof would be welcome but these were all very flavorful and far from being bland.

That being said, today I passed up 2 bottles of age stated that were $26.99 each. Seems like the store was trying to cash in on that "7" on the label

Advanced Taster

Well being only 1 month into my bourbon discovery and sampling phase, I found a Weller SR today in one of the local joints. Pretty shocking, as in pennsylvania I can't find ANY ANY weller's. First time I've even seen any bottle of it, so after seeing it was the BOTM I had to buy it. Haven't cracked it yet, but at 19.99 not a bad buy even if I don't love it.

Novice

I'm with BFerguson on this one, I enjoy WSR has a third or fourth pour...to me it's just not appealing as a starter.

Connoisseur

While I like the older AS Wellers better, I still think the current NAS WSR at less than $20/1.75 in Georgia is hard to beat ($30+ in SC). I travel down there periodically and buy 6 cases. It's grate for mixing and experimenting and not bad alone. I agree with several of you that I don't usually start with it but often finish with it. I also like to experiment with infusions. Many get thrown out and I don't feel so bad at that price point.

And I must confess that given my 4 brothers-in-law's and many nephew's insistence that I ALWAYS bring a van winkle product for them to mix with Coke at family gatherings, I put it in an old Rip 90 bottle and they are so much happier. They claimed when I brought a handle of WSR that they wouldn't drink that swill.
    Last edited by Enoch; 04-27-2014 at 10:26.