Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 4/14: Weller Special Reserve

I occasionally go to nearby bars to see a friend's band play, and in those cases I always go for the WSR, and it never disappoints. I once had a MM and WSR back-to-back, and the WSR tasted much better to me that night. I'm so glad that WSR is a regular staple at the bars around here.

Guru

I'll admit that I'm not really a fan. I tend to prefer rye bourbons over wheaters (although not exclusively), and think if I had $12 (or whatever the going rate is today) in my pocket - I'd be more likely to pick up EWBL. I do think it is a good value pour, especially for wheater fans (as the next step up with Larceny or MM will cost you quite a bit more by comparison), and for that reason - I'm glad it is still around. Who knows - I may draft to the wheat side at some point
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

First time I've ever had a negative post about a BOTM. Just not a fan of this. For me it's not a bad bourbon it's just a blah one.

I wouldn't turn it down if a friend offered a glass and that's all he had but then I wouldn't buy again even at $9.99.

Now I'll shut up and continue to read some favorable comments from members that I respect for their opinions and try to determine what they taste in this bourbon that I don't.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    First time I've ever had a negative post about a BOTM. Just not a fan of this. For me it's not a bad bourbon it's just a blah one.

I wouldn't turn it down if a friend offered a glass and that's all he had but then I wouldn't buy again even at $9.99.

Now I'll shut up and continue to read some favorable comments from members that I respect for their opinions and try to determine what they taste in this bourbon that I don't.
    Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. There just isn't anything that makes me want to buy that second bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Frankly, this whiskey bores me to tears. Not much nose, not much taste, and not much finish, for me. It is simply too diluted at 90 proof. Where Weller shines for me at 107, it drinks totally flat at 90. If I could get a seat at the big BT boardroom table, I'd propose 86ing this iteration, and redirect the barrels to OWA. FWIW, I'd also shitcan the Weller 12, and only have the OWA, but at a solid 7-8 yr min age (I wouldn't go totally crazy by asking for the sole offering yo be 10 yr @ 100 proof...).

I only sell plastic in my spare time...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Pour it in a Lot B bottle and you would get rave comments from your friends.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Frankly, this whiskey bores me to tears. Not much nose, not much taste, and not much finish, for me. It is simply too diluted at 90 proof. Where Weller shines for me at 107, it drinks totally flat at 90. If I could get a seat at the big BT boardroom table, I'd propose 86ing this iteration, and redirect the barrels to OWA. FWIW, I'd also shitcan the Weller 12, and only have the OWA, but at a solid 7-8 yr min age (I wouldn't go totally crazy by asking for the sole offering yo be 10 yr @ 100 proof...).

I only sell plastic in my spare time...
    I have had a couple SB WSR 90's that I've enjoyed but I pretty much agree with you Joe for the most part. BT IMO is making financial decisions vs. product quality decisions. We can talk more about this in a couple weeks at the Gazebo...see you and Jimmy there!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Guru

For those of us that can't make to the Gazebo would to see some notes of your BT discussion if you don't mind posting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

I guess I'm in the camp that says there's nothing wrong with WSR, but I much prefer OWA or W 12. I could easily go buy WSR locally at many stores. The others, I haven't seen for a long time. I'm afraid to open the few I have saved, for fear they will never return, come back in some diminished form, big price bump, or some combination.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Pour it in a Lot B bottle and you would get rave comments from your friends.
    This. This. This.

And I'm not even pointing fingers at anyone else: it'd probably fool me in the right situation. Blind tastings are beartraps.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton