Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Is the barrel shortage the reason?

After reading numerous blogs this week detailing the Bourbon barrel shortage I was wondering if this could be having a lot to do with items being missing on the shelves more so than increased demand?

When JDs new cooperage in north Al is up and running will they have more than they can use?

As with any shortage there will be a price hike. How will this translate to shelf pricing?

If I don't have something to worry about with my new hobby I just wouldn't be myself.

Guru

Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

They haven't perfected the GMO trees yet.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    After reading numerous blogs this week detailing the Bourbon barrel shortage I was wondering if this could be having a lot to do with items being missing on the shelves more so than increased demand?

When JDs new cooperage in north Al is up and running will they have more than they can use?

As with any shortage there will be a price hike. How will this translate to shelf pricing?

If I don't have something to worry about with my new hobby I just wouldn't be myself.
    A barrel shortage isn't impacting what's on the shelves now since they were barreled years ago. It could impact what's on the shelves in five or ten years.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    A barrel shortage isn't impacting what's on the shelves now since they were barreled years ago. It could impact what's on the shelves in five or ten years.
    This is what I was going to also say. Now it's time to cue up another reason for us all to go out and stock up which contributes to the shortages we're seeing on the shelves right now.

Guru

That makes more sense and is even more depressing.

Advanced Taster

When I did a little research into Four Roses's statements on barrel shortages a couple of months ago, the impression I ended up with is that a significant part of the situation in the past few months has been due to the weather: people couldn't get out to cut down the trees. However, the trees are apparently out there, so the long-term effect may not be as big as current supplies might suggest. But, since there are a lot of people trying to spin the story, it is also hard to know how reliable these accounts are.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by danz View Post
    When I did a little research into Four Roses's statements on barrel shortages a couple of months ago, the impression I ended up with is that a significant part of the situation in the past few months has been due to the weather: people couldn't get out to cut down the trees. However, the trees are apparently out there, so the long-term effect may not be as big as current supplies might suggest. But, since there are a lot of people trying to spin the story, it is also hard to know how reliable these accounts are.
    I agree with that. Haven't seen a straight answer about whether there really is an overall shortage of oak/barrels or just supply chain issues.
    Last edited by sku; 03-22-2014 at 12:24.

Guru

Well, there is no shortage of trees.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

How about charred bamboo barrel?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Well, there is no shortage of trees.
    I can't find it now, but I read somewhere in the past few days that indeed it's not a matter of tree availability but the availability of experienced loggers to go out and get them. I don't know anything about tree sourcing for barrels and the process of bringing them into the mills or cooperages to know if this statement holds any water. Can't any logger go out and chop down a tree or does it really take the right kind of know how for barrel specific trees?