Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    2,024

    Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    After reading numerous blogs this week detailing the Bourbon barrel shortage I was wondering if this could be having a lot to do with items being missing on the shelves more so than increased demand?

    When JDs new cooperage in north Al is up and running will they have more than they can use?

    As with any shortage there will be a price hike. How will this translate to shelf pricing?

    If I don't have something to worry about with my new hobby I just wouldn't be myself.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,570

    Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    They haven't perfected the GMO trees yet.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  3. #3
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    After reading numerous blogs this week detailing the Bourbon barrel shortage I was wondering if this could be having a lot to do with items being missing on the shelves more so than increased demand?

    When JDs new cooperage in north Al is up and running will they have more than they can use?

    As with any shortage there will be a price hike. How will this translate to shelf pricing?

    If I don't have something to worry about with my new hobby I just wouldn't be myself.
    A barrel shortage isn't impacting what's on the shelves now since they were barreled years ago. It could impact what's on the shelves in five or ten years.

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    902

    Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    A barrel shortage isn't impacting what's on the shelves now since they were barreled years ago. It could impact what's on the shelves in five or ten years.
    This is what I was going to also say. Now it's time to cue up another reason for us all to go out and stock up which contributes to the shortages we're seeing on the shelves right now.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    2,024

    Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    A barrel shortage isn't impacting what's on the shelves now since they were barreled years ago. It could impact what's on the shelves in five or ten years.
    That makes more sense and is even more depressing.

  6. #6
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    146

    Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    A barrel shortage isn't impacting what's on the shelves now since they were barreled years ago. It could impact what's on the shelves in five or ten years.
    When I did a little research into Four Roses's statements on barrel shortages a couple of months ago, the impression I ended up with is that a significant part of the situation in the past few months has been due to the weather: people couldn't get out to cut down the trees. However, the trees are apparently out there, so the long-term effect may not be as big as current supplies might suggest. But, since there are a lot of people trying to spin the story, it is also hard to know how reliable these accounts are.

  7. #7
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by danz View Post
    When I did a little research into Four Roses's statements on barrel shortages a couple of months ago, the impression I ended up with is that a significant part of the situation in the past few months has been due to the weather: people couldn't get out to cut down the trees. However, the trees are apparently out there, so the long-term effect may not be as big as current supplies might suggest. But, since there are a lot of people trying to spin the story, it is also hard to know how reliable these accounts are.
    I agree with that. Haven't seen a straight answer about whether there really is an overall shortage of oak/barrels or just supply chain issues.
    Last edited by sku; 03-22-2014 at 12:24.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,570

    Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    Well, there is no shortage of trees.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  9. #9
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    How about charred bamboo barrel?

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    902

    Re: Is the barrel shortage the reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Well, there is no shortage of trees.
    I can't find it now, but I read somewhere in the past few days that indeed it's not a matter of tree availability but the availability of experienced loggers to go out and get them. I don't know anything about tree sourcing for barrels and the process of bringing them into the mills or cooperages to know if this statement holds any water. Can't any logger go out and chop down a tree or does it really take the right kind of know how for barrel specific trees?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. another reason for the sour mash process
    By tmckenzie in forum History
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 17:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top