Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Novice

Hello from Atlanta

Hello, I've been interested in bourbon for about four years now. What started as one friend's fanatical obsession with mostly-jack jack & coke's then sharing another friend's daily bourbon habit while we were starting our small business, turned into a love for the flavors of bourbon neat or on the rocks. I generally only savor only a glass or two on friday or on weekends, so i'm slowly trying to work my way through all the different bottles out there. I'm blessed to have a warehouse-like liquor store (Tower's) nearby that always has a great selection and great prices.

Some of my favorites so far are:
    Rittenhouse Rye, Weller (both the cheapest one and the 12), Blantons, Four Roses (was either single barrel or small batch), and OGD BIB.

One newbie question I have that has always been confusing to me is how the bourbon industry works with different brands and companies using the same distillery. For example, buffalo trace has barrels for Pappy, Weller, Buffalo Trace, etc. What differentiates these products? Different mash bills? Differently sourced ingredients? Different aging time/location in the warehouse? Are certain barrels just tasted and selected to be "promoted"?

I actually took the buffalo trace tour a weekend ago and am kicking myself for forgetting to ask.

Virtuoso

Re: Hello from Atlanta

Welcome to the site. Also being from Atlanta I'm happy to help. First a couple of tips.
    1. Stay away from four roses limited releases, They are a rip off
    2. Four roses barrel proof store selections are also a big time rip off.

As far as distilleries having a Ton of labels, they need to acquire customers and since we aren't all equally enticed by the same brands they roll out several. Some are acquired from other distilleries in purchases like WL Weller came to BT along with stocks of whiskey when Stitzel Weller closed down. Julian van winkle brought them the pappy label. To describe what differentiates one label from another it could be as simple as a difference in proof or a completely different mashbill. Hang around here a little. We will make you the know it all expert that your friends will learn to hate. By the way there's a sticky for the acronyms so you can keep up with our abbreviations
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Welcome! If you dig around on this board a bit you will find a lot of info about the various major distilleries and how the brands tend to be differentiated from one another. Most of the big ones make a number of labels from a very limited number of mashbills. Heaven Hill has dozens and dozens of labels from essentially one standard rye bourbon mashbill and a number if others from a single wheat bourbon mashbill.

The different brands are typically based on age and/or a certain desired flavor profile that results in part from how the barrels age in different locations in rickhouses and even different types of rickhoses (brick vs metal siding versus wooden for example).

In the case of Buffalo Trace they make two rye bourbon mashbills that are basically owned by 2 separate companies who work in cooperation with one another to be produced and bottled at the same distillery. For example the recent Elmer T. Lee thread talks a little bit about that towards the last few pages of the thread. Every brand of bourbon they make comes from one of those two mashbills.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Welcome! Always great to see another Ga member. You also need to avoid ECBP, SAOS, and OFBB.

Connoisseur

Welcome to 'the board' mister deez! Have fun here (you almost can't avoid it!).
    You'll learn a ton about distilleries, mashbills, rick houses, master distillers, aging, wheaters vs rye Bourbons...
    I could go on . . . And ON! ENJOY!

Virtuoso

Good Day and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Hey deez, welcome aboard. Keep exploring and asking questions about any aspect of the hobby that interests you.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Welcome. [And to those SBers telling him to stay away from some of our favorite pours: You don't think he's gonna catch on that you are trying to cut down competition for them?] Which reminds me, that OGD BIB you think you like belongs to ME. So please stop buying it.

Also, you'll discover that some of the contributors here have written books, articles, and blogs under other names. Their knowledge of the whiskey business as well as what's in the bottles is unsurpassed. Happy research (he types while sipping on a Bowman Bros aka The Fox).

Guru

Welcome from Marietta! Like Restaurant Man says - stay away from the Four Roses limited editions in the fall. And that Buffalo Trace "Antique Collection" - nothing but hype ;-)

If you like Blantons, I'd give Elmer T Lee a try (if you can find it, it has been on a bit of a hiatus as of late). Same mashbill, same distillery, but age and warehouse location absolutely have an impact.

Have you tried any higher proof offerings (like OGD 114 or Bookers)? If not, I'd recommend picking up some minis of things like Bookers, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, etc. Inexpensive way to taste items without springing for a whole bottle.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome aboard, MD! Always great to see another ATL member join in the fun. Hopefully, we'll see you at a future Atlanta area meet-up!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama