Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Enthusiast

Re: Jack Daniel's Rested Rye

Quote Originally Posted by amg View Post
    Interesting. The tour guide at Buffalo Trace when we were there last month went out of his way to state that the Lincoln County Process disqualified Jack Daniels from being labeled as a bourbon, but you're right.
    Funny story: That same Buffalo Trace distillery produced George Dickel's Cascade after Prohibition; both the brand and the Stagg (as it was known then) Distillery were owned by Schenley. The complete Lincoln County process leaching vats were installed on the property to maintain the product's integrity, but the product was sold as Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky.

20120505-125345.jpg
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Guru

Yes they did and used the Lincoln County process of filtering the new make whisky through 10 feet of charcoal. Kinda dispels the "Jack Daniels doesn't qualify" myth.

Thanks for posting a picture of the bottle.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Two factual errors:

(1) It is incorrect to say Jack Daniel's 'can't' be called bourbon or straight bourbon. Jack Daniel's is bourbon but chooses not to use the term.

(2) The charcoal mellowing vats to make Dickel were installed at Stitzel-Weller before Prohibition but after state prohibition was passed in Tennessee. Dickel was made at BT after Prohibition but it was bourbon and no charcoal mellowing was done. Unfortunately, BT has been misrepresenting this history on its tours. Schenley didn't acquire Dickel/Cascade until several years after Prohibition ended.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The charcoal mellowing vats to make Dickel were installed at Stitzel-Weller before Prohibition but after state prohibition was passed in Tennessee. Dickel was made at BT after Prohibition but it was bourbon and no charcoal mellowing was done. Unfortunately, BT has been misrepresenting this history on its tours. Schenley didn't acquire Dickel/Cascade until several years after Prohibition ended.
    Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I read in one of Murray's books that the Dickel operation was moved from S-W to BT (in 1937, as it turns out), and presumed from the wording that this included the charcoal vats. (Wonder whatever became of those?)
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Connoisseur

Got an email from a local store giving me the opportunity to reserve a bottle of this for $57. I passed.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Dickel's pre-Prohibition production in Louisville was at A. Ph. Stitzel, not at Stitzel-Weller (built after Prohibition) so presumably the charcoal mellowing apparatus was demolished or repurposed when that plant was decommissioned.

In 1937, Lew Rosenstiel met with George Shwab (George Dickel's namesake and nephew) and decided the Shwab family’s Dickel claim was worth $100,000. That's when BT, then owned by Rosenstiel's Schenley, came into the picture.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Dickel was made at BT after Prohibition but it was bourbon and no charcoal mellowing was done. Unfortunately, BT has been misrepresenting this history on its tours.

Ack, another illusion shot.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I finally got to try this. The barrels obviously vary or the batches, as mine was very mild-tasting, a bit like pastry dough. No banana or other fruit esters. It didn't taste like rye whiskey at all, it tasted a lot like a junior version of Old No. 7. In other words, the sooty maple quality was quite evident; this must be from the maple charcoal filtration.

I wonder if this product will actually age, or further age, into anything useful since it seems way too bland. To get a characterful whiskey at 4+ years, you need a congener-laden feisty whiskey to smooth down into that form. Putting it another way, I think what I had is fully-aged as is. It was quite nice although a higher proof would be better.

Gary