Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Small Barrels Don't Always Produce Lousy Whisky

How would you guys compare the QC to an Ardbeg Ugi? A few years back I tried both the QC and 10 year and hated both with the 10 year being especially vile. Since then my peat tolerance has gone up though I still tend to stick to light peat or old peat (think Oban 14, Talisker 25, JW Green Label) but we popped a bottle of Ardbeg Ugi the other night and I really enjoyed it! Now I do have moods where peat just sounds better, and that night was one of them, but this was a cask strength Ardbeg so I figure it has to be somewhat high on the scale. I looked through my bunker list and realized the only Laphroaigs I have on hand are an 18 and a 2013 Cairdeas, both of which I assume would taste far different than the QC.

So, thoughts on that comparison? Is it worth taking the plunge and grabbing one? I guess I could always make my wife drink it if I can't stand it, she is the Octomore lover in the house...

Enthusiast

I think the Oog is better. However, Oog is quite different. It is matured with sherry casks. (similar to Lagavulin) If you want to try a similar Laphroaig, check out the PX or the Triple Wood. I don't think any of those come close to the Oog, so there is that.

If you have warmed up to peat lately, I think you will like the QC. It is much sweeter and less abrasive than the 10. Definitely the more approachable Laphroaig of the lineup.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    Case in point: Laphroaig Quarter Cask.
    This is lousy whiskey; of course I feel that way about any peat bomb.

Advanced Taster

I'm a huge fan of the Quarter Cask Laphroaig - great price - sometimes it can be found on sale for $45 - when I see that I buy 3 bottles. I do think it is interesting to the flavor change that the time in the quarter cask brings - it isn't that much smaller than a regular barrel but it definitely bends the flavor curve.