Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vatting - I'm a believer in letting it mingle

I was doing some vatting of Weller 12 and Weller OWA and had read different opinions on whether you could just drink it after the blending or that you should wait to let the flavors mingle. I did a couple of blends of 60% OWA (using a 1-liter bottle) and 40% W12 (using a 750ml bottle), and had enough left of each for a 50/50 blend of them. I tried it right off the bat and thought "blech!", not good. I just tried it again two weeks later, and it was phenomenal! Not like the Pappy 15 that it's supposed to emulate, but pretty darn close. So now I'm a believer in letting the blend sit for a while.
    John Danza

"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson

Guru

Re: Vatting - I'm a believer in letting it mingle

Quote Originally Posted by borderboss View Post
    I was doing some vatting of Weller 12 and Weller OWA and had read different opinions on whether you could just drink it after the blending or that you should wait to let the flavors mingle. I did a couple of blends of 60% OWA (using a 1-liter bottle) and 40% W12 (using a 750ml bottle), and had enough left of each for a 50/50 blend of them. I tried it right off the bat and thought "blech!", not good. I just tried it again two weeks later, and it was phenomenal! Not like the Pappy 15 that it's supposed to emulate, but pretty darn close. So now I'm a believer in letting the blend sit for a while.
    I definitely found value in letting mingles sit for a bit. My dad and I did a "mingle timing test", and our take away was that 24 hours was definitely helpful, but beyond that - we weren't sure. Granted - it took some planning in advance (creating small mingles at intervals so we could have them all at specific points on the day we got together). But very enlightening. I'd recommend giving that a shot. We did find that the "30 minute old mingle" wasn't great, but ironically the one we liked best has been around 24 hours mingled. We had options that were 1 week and 2 weeks old, and we actually thought the 2 weeks old was either the 30 minute or 1 day old mingle.

Below is the thread with our results if you're interested.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...t=mingle+aging

As long as you're having fun with your whiskey (or whisky), you're doing it right! Cheers!
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

I'm anxious to hear your results after an even longer time. Let us know how the smell/taste develops with extended vatting (several months).
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's um... It's
    green.

Guru

I haven't setup another similar experiment; my goal was to understand if there were significant benefits to waiting periods (at least for my palate), and it seems that after 1 day - not really. I actually hoped our preferences would show a closer to linear progression with the aging, but being scattered suggests little correlation, so I tend to give a vatting at least one day before passing judgement.

Although as this vatting wasn't a big hit, I may try to repeat it with more samples and a mingle that I know delivers. If I start today, I can report back in a few months
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain

Guru

My vatting is always a long term mingle since it's a combination of the last half pours of every bottle I drink. Ryes, bourbons, 90 to 100+ proofs.

Got into it big time last week and was just so tasty I emptied it and started a new one. First add was OGDBIB and then RITTBIB.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ToEOrNotToE View Post
    I'm anxious to hear your results after an even longer time. Let us know how the smell/taste develops with extended vatting (several months).
    Scientifically, seems like you're going to have diminishing returns there. It's not like there's a chemical reaction happening here.
    Andrew

I have a question, I heard people use a blend of ECBP and EC12. anyone know the ratios and time they gave it?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tigerpop View Post
    I have a question, I heard people use a blend of ECBP and EC12. anyone know the ratios and time they gave it?
    If you do a google search for site:straightbourbon.com ECBP vatting you'll find some different experiments. Also tons of great vatting ideas in this monster thread:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ng-Thread-2014
    Andrew

Awesome thanks you!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by amg View Post
    Scientifically, seems like you're going to have diminishing returns there. It's not like there's a chemical reaction happening here.
    That's my guess as well. I made a small mingle this morning, measuring mL to try to be as exact as I can (21 mL of OWA with 9 mL of W12 - a combination/ratio that I know to be a winner for me). And each is going into a 2oz Square sample bottle (so should be equivalent air space, etc). Going to duplicate this in monthly increments for a few months, than move to weekly increments, then to every few days - and the day I sit down to evaluate - I'll make one a couple hours prior, and 10-15 min prior. Then - taste them blind and try to guess which is which. I'm expecting that the "minutes" and "hours" may stand out (maybe), but the 24 hours and beyond will be fairly similar. The challenge is that the order of the tasting (seeing as there will be 7+ samples) will influence, as the last couple to be tasted won't be done with a fresh palate. But, it will give me something to look forward to (and looking at the calendar, I'll probably try to time it for late August/early September so I can get my "whiskey geek gear" ready for KBF!)
    Gary (aka 'Country')