Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    605

    Black Saddle 12 Year

    Anyone know anything about this? Saw it at the shop, never heard of it. 12 year, so there's that... 90 proof, which makes me balk at the $50 price point. Can't find much about it online, either...

  2. #2
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    125

    Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

    If what you saw is the current bottling, then it is a product from our home state of California. No distillery in the state has been laying up distillate for 12 years, so I'm pretty sure it is sourced whiskey. Most likely LDI/MGPI. Never tried it before.

    There was a Kentucky Straight Bourbon bottled under the same name back in the 1950's/1960's (maybe even a little after that). But I have a feeling a bottle that old wouldn't be out in the wild.

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    605

    Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
    If what you saw is the current bottling, then it is a product from our home state of California. No distillery in the state has been laying up distillate for 12 years, so I'm pretty sure it is sourced whiskey. Most likely LDI/MGPI. Never tried it before.

    There was a Kentucky Straight Bourbon bottled under the same name back in the 1950's/1960's (maybe even a little after that). But I have a feeling a bottle that old wouldn't be out in the wild.
    Oh, no, it's gotta be the current bottling, it's at BevMo. I'm also thinking it's sourced, mostly because of the complete lack of information about it. Little too expensive considering I can get a 12 year, 90+ proofer in EC12 for half the cost.

  4. #4
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisville, ky
    Posts
    1,203

    Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

    COLA search shows they got labeling approval on NAS, 8, 10 and 12 ( https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13121001000270 ). I've never seen it outside of what Google just found for me.

    Website has me confused ( http://www.frank-lin.com/spirit.html ) as it lists Old Medley, Wathen's, Clyde May and Buck among others as their brands. Maybe they're a contract bottler for them.


    ETA - Answered my own question.... Frank-Lin today has evolved into one of the major bottlers of distilled spirits. With a new state of the art facility in Fairfield, CA we now have the annual capacity of producing over 15 million cases. Frank-Lin sustains a growth rarely seen in the liquor industry.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,926

    Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

    Quote Originally Posted by jwacky View Post
    Anyone know anything about this? Saw it at the shop, never heard of it. 12 year, so there's that... 90 proof, which makes me balk at the $50 price point. Can't find much about it online, either...
    Look at it this way, you're getting an $8.00 whisky and a really cool $40.00 bottle.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,284

    Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Look at it this way, you're getting an $8.00 whisky and a really cool $40.00 bottle.
    Pretty sure the bottle isn't $40 interesting either. Now the image on this rather odd blog I found while searching for the bottle has some potential...

    http://bourbonandpearls.blogspot.com...das-boots.html
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    605

    Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

    Definitely not a $40 bottle:

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    919

    Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

    Quote Originally Posted by jwacky View Post
    Oh, no, it's gotta be the current bottling, it's at BevMo. .
    What I love about Total Wine and BevMo is they have so many bourbons I have never heard of. What a wealth of opportunity!
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    498

    Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

    Squire, let's give it a chance.......let's say a $1 for every year.......$12 for the bourbon in the bottle.

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,926

    Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

    Well, I could say that but I wouldn't wish to offend the folks who designed that pretty bottle.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Beam Black... 7 year?
    By JayMonster in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 22:32
  2. J.T.S. Brown 10 Year Old Black Label
    By Phantos in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 15:10
  3. Back in the Saddle
    By mozilla in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 10:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top