Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Black Saddle 12 Year

Anyone know anything about this? Saw it at the shop, never heard of it. 12 year, so there's that... 90 proof, which makes me balk at the $50 price point. Can't find much about it online, either...

Advanced Taster

Re: Black Saddle 12 Year

If what you saw is the current bottling, then it is a product from our home state of California. No distillery in the state has been laying up distillate for 12 years, so I'm pretty sure it is sourced whiskey. Most likely LDI/MGPI. Never tried it before.

There was a Kentucky Straight Bourbon bottled under the same name back in the 1950's/1960's (maybe even a little after that). But I have a feeling a bottle that old wouldn't be out in the wild.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
    If what you saw is the current bottling, then it is a product from our home state of California. No distillery in the state has been laying up distillate for 12 years, so I'm pretty sure it is sourced whiskey. Most likely LDI/MGPI. Never tried it before.

There was a Kentucky Straight Bourbon bottled under the same name back in the 1950's/1960's (maybe even a little after that). But I have a feeling a bottle that old wouldn't be out in the wild.
    Oh, no, it's gotta be the current bottling, it's at BevMo. I'm also thinking it's sourced, mostly because of the complete lack of information about it. Little too expensive considering I can get a 12 year, 90+ proofer in EC12 for half the cost.

Virtuoso

COLA search shows they got labeling approval on NAS, 8, 10 and 12 ( https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...13121001000270 ). I've never seen it outside of what Google just found for me.

Website has me confused ( http://www.frank-lin.com/spirit.html ) as it lists Old Medley, Wathen's, Clyde May and Buck among others as their brands. Maybe they're a contract bottler for them.

ETA - Answered my own question.... Frank-Lin today has evolved into one of the major bottlers of distilled spirits. With a new state of the art facility in Fairfield, CA we now have the annual capacity of producing over 15 million cases. Frank-Lin sustains a growth rarely seen in the liquor industry.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jwacky View Post
    Anyone know anything about this? Saw it at the shop, never heard of it. 12 year, so there's that... 90 proof, which makes me balk at the $50 price point. Can't find much about it online, either...
    Look at it this way, you're getting an $8.00 whisky and a really cool $40.00 bottle.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Look at it this way, you're getting an $8.00 whisky and a really cool $40.00 bottle.
    Pretty sure the bottle isn't $40 interesting either. Now the image on this rather odd blog I found while searching for the bottle has some potential...

http://bourbonandpearls.blogspot.com...das-boots.html
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Definitely not a $40 bottle:

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jwacky View Post
    Oh, no, it's gotta be the current bottling, it's at BevMo. .
    What I love about Total Wine and BevMo is they have so many bourbons I have never heard of. What a wealth of opportunity!
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

Squire, let's give it a chance.......let's say a $1 for every year.......$12 for the bourbon in the bottle.

Guru

Well, I could say that but I wouldn't wish to offend the folks who designed that pretty bottle.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.