Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Wheat embossed Weller 12

I had a question for those more knowledgeable on the topic. Is all wheat embossed Weller 12 bottles those that were produced by Bernheim or was there an overlap to the Buffalo Trace version? I was under the impression that all wheat embossed bottles were but someone recently told me the current liter bottlings from Buffalo Trace still use the wheat embossed style bottle. I tried searching on the site and on Google to see if there is a way to tell by the date code on the bottle but the most I could find was roughly 2006-2009 was when the wheat embossed style bottle was produced for the 750ml version but unsure if this corresponded to Bernheim producing what was in the bottle and could find nothing about the liter version still using it to date. Any input is appreciated!

Re: Wheat embossed Weller 12

The only right answer is that nobody really knows except those who bottled them, I have had early wheat embossed bottles that look like motor oil and taste nothing like current weller 12. If you try it and like it does it really matter what's in the bottle?

Taster

Michael, I have tried it and loved it. That is why I was trying to track down some more. I found a source that has some but there is obviously a premium associated with acquiring said bottle so I wouldn't mind knowing I am getting what I am expecting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    The only right answer is that nobody really knows except those who bottled them, I have had early wheat embossed bottles that look like motor oil and taste nothing like current weller 12. If you try it and like it does it really matter what's in the bottle?
    This answer is a very good one. The only thing I can add is that you definitely can't rely on the embossed bottle alone to tell you what the juice in the bottle tastes like. I have had some of the same dark juice Mike refers to and it's great. And then I have some in a wheat embossed bottle that's just as bad as the current stuff (sorry guys, I don't like the current stuff at all.) Very "scotch" like. I don't know exactly when it was bottled since the printed code is not complete. I'm guessing sometime as late as 2010-2012 since the other Weller bottles close by were from that time frame.

IMAG0368.jpg

^ 750ml bottled 2010-2012 tastes like the current production.

I have seen 1 liter embossed bottles on shelves as recently as ~3 months ago. I don't really pay attention to W12 since I don't buy it any more.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 04-08-2014 at 15:29.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Taster

Ok so sounds like color is probably the best/only indicator of what I should expect in the bottle. Thanks for the input guys!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

I'm pretty sure all of the current 1L Weller 12 bottles have the embossed logo as well. Again, not a great indicator.

Just ask Mike for some of his paper label stash if you want to try the good stuff.
    Tyler

Guru

To answer the question, yes, there was overlap in the 750 ml & 1.75 ltr bottlings. I had no idea they did liters but clearly it was there too, if they're still on shelves.

Also, there could very well be a little Bernheim in current bottlings. Nothing prevents them from putting old Bernheim in with BT distillate.
    Last edited by Josh; 04-09-2014 at 05:58.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    (sorry guys, I don't like the current stuff at all.) Very "scotch" like.
    I don't either Joe and you might be on to something as to why. I enjoy scotch, just not when it comes in bourbon.

And, if one happens to come across a bottled on the 54th day in '07 (and next to that another with a missing code but exact same motor oil appearance)...you have struck gold .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

Just bought three 1L bottles of wheat embossed W12.

Seems like the 1L isn't any awesome shakes, but I figured the downside was that I'd have 3L of lesser W12 to drink...

The date codes don't point me to a date very well. I've got 04.5893.02 in black on the label right under the black band, and there are white codes under the label level randomly around the circumference of the bottles, one of which reads "B1218716:284", for example.

The B either means bottling line B or Buffalo Trace... the only thing that seems clear is a time of 16:28.

Is this to indicate Buffalo Trace, 2012, day 187, time 16:28, bottling line 4?

tbt
    Last edited by The Black Tot; 06-27-2014 at 15:31.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Tot View Post

Is this to indicate Buffalo Trace, 2012, day 187, time 16:28, bottling line 4?

tbt
    Yep, as far as I know that's BT's code. I have B13 W12's 750's and a sample I got of the wheat embossed that I'm going to do a blind against Lot B.

Also, wouldn't the first 5 digits of the UPC allow one to determine place of orgin or no?