Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello from Chicago also!

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to post hello. I'm currently living in downtown Chicago and am originally from Tampa, FL. I just started drinking whiskey about a year ago and really enjoy a good rye. So far my favorites are Journeyman Ravenswood and HW Rendezvous. Anyone have any other good rye recommendations? I enjoy it with a single ice cube (those giant king cubes to be more specific). Thanks in advance for any direction anyone can provide.

Shorkologist

Connoisseur

Re: Hello from Chicago also!

Welcome to SB. The Chicago contingent is growing, apparently. I'm jealous. RE: ryes - there are some recent threads on recent releases and some older ones under "Archives" that should provide you with a ton of knowledge. Also, there are some basic bourbons that emphasize rye in their mash bills so even though they are at least 51% corn, rye can dominate.

Specific ryes I like: Rittenhouse makes a wonderful 100 proof rye, and although it's a little pricy for what you get, Sazerac 6 yr. is not bad imo (edit to add "especially in cocktails") .

Novice

Welcome Shorkologist from another Chicagoan! (And thanks for your hello to me on the other thread). I second Harry's recommendation as to the baby Saz (one of my favorites). Russell's is another good one at a "reasonable" price point. And if you're itching for something with higher proof, check out some of the LDI/MGP based ryes, in particular, Willett and Old Scout.

Connoisseur

Welcome to 'the board', Shorkologist! Have FUN!!! That's what it's all about.

Guru

Welcome aboard Shorkologist. Saz Rye is great, ....when it can be found. I stay full on Tempelton, and High West.

Guru

Hey Shork, welcome aboard.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome, Shorkologist! Glad to have you here on SB. I'm particularly gratified, because as a recently transplanted Floridian, you somehow managed to survive this past awfulest of awful Winter in Chicago! A wretched one up there, for sure.

Please join in the conversation often, and "thirding" Harry 's fine recommendation, try and pick up a Saz Jr.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Welcome, Shorkologist! Glad to have you here on SB. I'm particularly gratified, because as a recently transplanted Floridian, you somehow managed to survive this past awfulest of awful Winter in Chicago! A wretched one up there, for sure.

Please join in the conversation often, and "thirding" Harry 's fine recommendation, try and pick up a Saz Jr.
    Ok, since three people recommended it I just went ahead and got two bottles of the 6 year Saz a.k.a Saz Jr. a.k.a baby Saz. I'll let you know how they worked out. Thanks everyone for the recommendations and the warm welcome!

Joe - This has been only my second winter in Chicago and you're right it was a brutal one. Luckily we're starting to come out of it, and of course I had some fine spirits to keep me warm.