Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Bourbon chipotle

Knocked this sauce up today for some lovely fat 1/2 kg (bit over a pound) dry aged t-bones I am going to throw over the coals.

12 chipotle chillis - halved and seeded
    2 cloves garlic diced
    1/2 white onion sliced
    1 bay leave
    1tsp salt
    1tsp cracked pepper
    6tbsp ketchup
    2 cups bourbon (i used JD cos it wasnt getting drunk fast enough)
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

Throw all the above in a covered shalllow pan and simmer for an hour, you want the liquid to reduce back to about one cup, discard bay leaf and run the mix through a blender/processor/hand mixer untill it reaches your desired consistency, I like mine velvety and even added a knob of butter to give it a nice gloss.
    Sauce done, now a few beers before getting the coals going.

Connoisseur

Re: Bourbon chipotle

Damn. That sounds fantastic. Gonna file this one away for my future use. Thanks for sharing. :-D

Enthusiast

No problems, I saw a post here the other day where someone was looking for a bourbon sauce, sounded like a good idea.
    I should add that this is a very savoury sauce, if you like your sauces sweet you can add a little honey during the blending stage, i tried mixing some with honey and mollasses and it worked well, it would work as a nice hot wing marinade this way.

Connoisseur

That sounds good as well. I think would like to try it as a pork chop glaze and possibly a salmon glaze.

Enthusiast

Just dont do what I did and go to the toilet after deseeding the chipotle, yeh amateur move I know, it had been years since I had done this and I felt very stupid, and very uncomfortable for the next 10 minutes

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Just dont do what I did and go to the toilet after deseeding the chipotle, yeh amateur move I know, it had been years since I had done this and I felt very stupid, and very uncomfortable for the next 10 minutes
    Hahaha. I feel ya. Years ago I was cutting up some jalapeņos for some salsa. Late that night I went into the bathroom to take out my contacts. BIG mistake!! Now I wear some nitrile gloves while preparing anything with hot peppers. Live and learn.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Knocked this sauce up today for some lovely fat 1/2 kg (bit over a pound) dry aged t-bones I am going to throw over the coals.

12 chipotle chillis - halved and seeded
    2 cloves garlic diced
    1/2 white onion sliced
    1 bay leave
    1tsp salt
    1tsp cracked pepper
    6tbsp ketchup
    2 cups bourbon (i used JD cos it wasnt getting drunk fast enough)
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

Throw all the above in a covered shalllow pan and simmer for an hour, you want the liquid to reduce back to about one cup, discard bay leaf and run the mix through a blender/processor/hand mixer untill it reaches your desired consistency, I like mine velvety and even added a knob of butter to give it a nice gloss.
    Sauce done, now a few beers before getting the coals going.
    Interesting. Sounds good

I have a chipotle recipe that I make often. I keep it in the fridge at all times

Two cans of chipotle in adobo with a block of guava paste. Blend with a stick blender until smooth. The guava gives a hint of tropical sweetness and tames the heat a little

I also make pickled chipotles with the little red moritas. Mixed with sliced carrots and onions
    Also a staple in the fridge