Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Must do's in the French Quarter,

To get away from the hecticness of Bourbon Street, we love to relax at Arnaud's French 75 (next to Arnaud's restaurant). The place is elegant, but not pretentious or stuffy. It is also very cigar friendly (I think they even sell cigars there - not sure since I don't smoke).

Connoisseur

I also recommend the Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone. Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop is pretty cool, as it is one of the oldest structures in NO (built in the 1700s). Tivoli and Lee is supposed to have a great bourbon selection, though I haven't been. D.B.A. is also a good choice, and you need to go to Frenchman Street for music anyway.
    Epicurean in the ATL - Atlanta-Based Food, Whiskey & Cocktail Blog

Connoisseur

Must do's for me are bignets, Lafitte's (especially early in the day... ), and Sazerac's at Arnaud's and Napoleon House. Two different drinks, but both good. I've heard Arnaud's has a sort of whiskey museum of old dusty bottles, but have not verified that myself.

I love having a hurricane before lunch or hanging out playing cards after, both at Lafitte's, while smoking my pipe or a cigar. Doors open, breeze drifting in, good company.

Paschal's Manale has a great BBQ shrimp, not what you think, and just a block off the streetcar line in the garden district. Frenchman Street has become the music venue destination of choice, and I'm sure there are good bars down there too.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

If your old enough not to get carded leave your wallet in your hotel safe. Don't carry too much cash on you. Pick pockets are every where in NO. Watch your drinks they will spike them.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 04-18-2014 at 09:54.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Thanks to all for suggestions. We've already added a couple stops to our "Bourbon Crawl" day after
    looking at a bourbon MENU! WOW! Can't wait.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    To get away from the hecticness of Bourbon Street, we love to relax at Arnaud's French 75 (next to Arnaud's restaurant). The place is elegant, but not pretentious or stuffy. It is also very cigar friendly (I think they even sell cigars there - not sure since I don't smoke).
    This! My favorite Sazerac is made here.

Also, have a Pimm's Cup at the Napoleon House. It's very refreshing, and great for an afternoon rest.

tbt

Enthusiast

Just a follow up and thank you for the recommendations.
    First, it's just amazing going into bars and having a selection like some of these have.
    We are not as fortunate here in the Tampa Bay area.
    Went to the Avenue Pub.......downstairs. They probably had 30+ choices, but nothing
    "special". All the good(read:expensive) stuff was upstairs, which didn't open till 5PM. Sadly
    we didn't get back. Went into the round about and Tivoli & Lee. There, I did have a pour of
    Stagg, 4 Roses 125, and Col. Tornado, 3 I hadn't tried. $15-$20 each, but when in NOLa.......
    Went to DBA on Frenchman St. Had some Stagg Jr., which I always try to keep some. Big
    selection there, too. Went to the Roosevelt for the Sazarac. Spent a lot of time talking to the
    bartender there, who had just starting smoking cigars. So we had TWO thinks in common.
    Did see a Pappy 20 and a Pappy 23. $125 and $250. No. That was NOT a bottle price. I passed.
    Finally went into Arnauds French 75 one night. Cigar friendly and had a "special" cocktail that
    the bartender is famous for there. As it was the last stop of that night, I don't remember much else........
    Again, thanks ALL for the recommendations!