Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: "Bourbon" in used barrels

Andre when answering your post above I didn't notice you were posting under the Southern Cross. The export version of Early Times is a Straight Bourbon and not the Kentucky Style Whisky that is partially aged in reuse barrels.

Looks like Canadians will be your lot.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

High west 21 is rye in used barrels, plenty old and may fit the bill, if expensively.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

"Bourbon" in used barrels

There's a Hirsch 20yo American Whiskey bottling that fits what you're looking for. It was distilled at the Hiram Walker distillery in Peoria, IL, presumedly from a bourbon mash, and aged in used barrels. There may be more than one batch out there. I tasted some years ago and really liked it. It has shown up on shelves more recently and has not gotten very good reviews. Can't say if that's batch variation or just preference differences.

The distillery has been closed for quite awhile now anyway, so they're certainly not making any more of it.

High West bottled a 21yo whiskey 'distilled from rye mash.' It was 53% rye I believe, distilled at Barton and aged in used barrels. It's long gone from shelves and was not cheap while it was around. Delicious stuff though.

I imagine that in 5-10 years there will be some barrels bottled by craft distilleries that will match what you're looking for, but probably not many. It's the bourbon craze after all, not the whiskey distilled from bourbon mash craze.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Re: "Bourbon" is used barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Call it Scotch. At least some Scotch's are so aged.
    Not even close............................................

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Andre28 View Post
    Thanks Joe.

Richnimrod, which scotch would you recommend that is made with 51% corn ?
    No Scotch's I'm aware of are corn based; but many are aged in used Bourbon Barrels.

Guru

Not so much now but years ago a good bit of blended Scotch used a corn distillate as the base blending whisky, and, yes, it was aged in reuse barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    No Scotch's I'm aware of are corn based; but many are aged in used Bourbon Barrels.
    lol yeah I was just joking, Scotch was definitely not what I had in mind.

I am actually quite surprised this isn't more common given the huge amount of barrels that only get a few years use.

Guru

Maybe because if it's not aged in new oak it's not straight bourbon or rye. And if it's not straight then it's not the good stuff. There are dozens of excellent straight bourbons on the market. Several of them are aged over ten years. Why would anyone want anything less?

I'm pretty sure Canadian whiskey fits your specs nicely.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

oddly I haven't really liked the Canadian Whiskeys I have tried. Pretty much was just after a classic bourbon mash bill, aged in used casks for a length of time comparable to some of the nicer scotches. In my book that is 15-21 years, but it seems such a beast is quite rare.

Guru

That's because whisky ages faster in the warm climate of Kentucky than the cold climate of Scotland. Combine that with new charred barrels and 8-10 years become close to optimum before the barrel influence becomes strong enough to throw the Bourbon out of balance. Older Bourbons can have the wood effect softened by selective filtering but the presence is still prominent.