Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Round 3: B-F to Barton: Show us \'The Still\'

And now Round # 3. ~

Cliff/Chuck, note reference to 'unclean hands' doctrine.

http://www.courier-journal.com/busin...ze13-4197.html

Omar

Enthusiast

Re: Round 3: B-F to Barton: Show us \'The Still\'

That's really hilarious.

Unfortunately, I don't think that any of this will stop
    the flow of Marketing Hooey.

Tim Dellinger

Guru

...the flow of Marketing Hooey.
    I all but blush when I think of the few minutes here and there I've wasted reading the labels on bourbon before deciding to make a purchase.

Even after becoming relatively educated in such matters, thanks to the folks here at StraightBourbon.com, I still can't resist reading every word when I spot an unfamiliar bottling.

What's worse, I can't swear that I'm unaffected by the M.H., even when I know it's . For example, about a year ago a bottle of Benchmark beckoned from the shelf, and the next thing I knew, it was in my basket. During the ensuing months, as I struggled to finish that bottle, I kept rereading the label in an attempt to make it taste better. It didn't work.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

I find it interesting that B-F interprets "legendary" as meaning "real". IMHO, legendary heroes and objects are ones whose existence is not nececssarily verifiable, as in Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. Legendary, Yes. Real, Probably not. What better marketing than to refer to a non-existent or mythically magnificent still. Some people believe that cookies are made by elves in trees.

Re: Brown-Forman vs. Barton

While I think this suit-countersuit thing is silly -- and realize that Barton doesn't control salesmen who work for distributors all over the country -- there is no doubt the local sales pitch is Ridgwood vs. Woodford during the current '1792' rollout in Middle Tennessee. The area distributor has priced it (15-20% lower) to compete favorably with Woodford Reserve, they suggest placing it on the shelf in proximity to Woodford Reserve -- in short, it is being pitched as being directly in competition with Woodford Reserve. So, much as I hate to say it, maybe Brown Forman has a point.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Brown-Forman vs. Barton

As you correctly note, distributors and their sales people are independent of the manufacturers. However, manufacturers typically train the distributor sales people about things like merchandising strategies for new product rollouts. From my experience, this sounds like the sort of strategy that would come from the manufacturer. They can't make the distributor do anything, but this sort of shelf positioning and pricing suggestion from the manufacturer usually is followed by the distributor.

By the way, this is nothing new. Both Evan Williams and Ezra Brooks were intended to poach Jack Daniel's drinkers, and that's just one example of many in the broader spirits industry. It's a venerable tradition.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Omar,

Around here, when somebody throws a rock at ya. We gather as many rocks, and folks, as possible, to finish this feud

I am on the side of Barton's, "hands down". I looked, (and compared the two myself) at the picture in the link from the Courier. No eye glasses required on that one...

Maybe, they was figurin' the IQ factor in? Hey, they's real stupid (round'st here). They can't read, write and can't "see" too good either.

Well Geeeze, Jim Bob, this here's bourbon is frum BF and we's gonna buy it

Time will tell the verdict on this one. I "hope" that Barton's wins.

Sittin' on a rock pile in Kentucky

Bettye Jo

Connoisseur

Bettye Jo,
    I agree 100%
    when somebody throws a rock at ya
    I don't blame Barton a bit for mentioning the BF potstill . (I know they're sposed to be bottling stuff from those L&B potstills now, but... )
    As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I remember someone on this forum mentioning several months ago, that Barton should bring that up...
    Does BF assume the Bourbon drinker is that clueless? If a person is too drunk/stupid to tell the difference between those two bottles, they shouldn't be drinking anyway...
    I hope Barton's wins too.
    Bj

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's a pissing match between skunks. A pox on both their houses.

Connoisseur

Chuck,
    Yes, you are absolutely right. And it all makes me wonder... They're both sitting back and smiling here...they're getting some serious press ...
    Bj