Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Live from Los Angeles!

Hey guys, glad to be on the boards! I have been lurking for a good three years, my bourbon obsession began in 2011, where I switched from scotch and bought Woodford and Maker's Mark. I was gifted a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 by my fiance now wife (that's a keeper), which turned the rabbit hole into a caldera. I now enjoy the wonderful magma (wow that is corny) that is an ever-expanding collection ranging from weller reserve and rittenhouse rye to 4RSB LE 2012, 2011 GTS and PVW 15, plus many bottles in between. Lately, I have been enjoying the bang for buck whiskeys like EWSB and George Dickel 12

Connoisseur

Re: Live from Los Angeles!

Welcome to the conversation, Kearley83!
    Your avatar image (I assume that's you) loox just like a friend of mine from.... wellllll, waaaaay back in the day.
    His shirts weren't as cool, but same face, and similar hat. He used to be the mascot for the girls GAA basketball team.
    Have FUN!!!! That's the main thing.

Guru

Hey kearley, welcome aboard. You're right, Bourbon is bang for buck and unique in the spirits world in that the average quality level is so high we're often getting a premium grade for those medium prices.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Hey Kearly.... any advice for what stores to hit up in the LA area? I'll be visiting next month (used to live there, but that was before I was into bourbon)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Disciple

just curious but with the quaking and shaking y'all tend to have out there what precautions do you take to keep a precious bottle from falling off the shelf?

Guru

Welcome from Georgia! I agree, EWSB is a fantastic bargain - at least the ones I've tried. And a fairly reliable one for a single barrel too!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Welcome! Always good to have another LA bourbon fan. We have get togethers from time to time, so watch these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by JPBoston View Post
    Hey Kearly.... any advice for what stores to hit up in the LA area? I'll be visiting next month (used to live there, but that was before I was into bourbon)
    K&L in Hollywood, Hi-Time in Costa Mesa, Mission Liquors in Pasadena.

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    just curious but with the quaking and shaking y'all tend to have out there what precautions do you take to keep a precious bottle from falling off the shelf?
    This is an issue I think about A LOT. My shelves are nailed to the wall and I have straps that hold lining each one about half way up that are intended to hold everything in.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post

K&L in Hollywood, Hi-Time in Costa Mesa, Mission Liquors in Pasadena.
    Ahh, yes... K&L. That's probably where I'll wind up. Thanks.

Novice

Absolutely sku I would love to clang some glasses with you, I have been a fan of your blog for awhile and I use the LAWS list when I am on the hunt. I will be heading to seven grand next month. any other good watering holes you suggest? JPboston, a couple of other decent spots in the L.A. area are the bevmo in Pasadena, liquor Mart in Whittier and total wine in Brea. Mission liquor as per sku's recommendation is amazing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk