Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon Rumors

Guru

Re: Bourbon Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Direct from the horse anyway.
    But which end...........?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I wonder if John Hansell can afford Woodward and Bernstein...?
    Maybe Woodford and Bernheim would be more affordable!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

I thought Fred did a fine job with the article. I don't believe he was hoping to win a Pulitzer but was just writing about a topic he enjoys. I saw he took a lot of heat on the website it was posted on. I respect that he allowed comments and chose to respond to them.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I don't believe he was hoping to win a Pulitzer but was just writing about a topic he enjoys. I saw he took a lot of heat on the website it was posted on. I respect that he allowed comments and chose to respond to them.
    Very good points and thanks for pointing that out. He and the publication should be commended for not nuking the negative comments like so many publications do. Good on em.

Advanced Taster

The criticism against this article is a classic case of shooting the messenger. Minnick didn't set out to write a piece of hard-hitting investigative journalism -- he makes that very clear. He just wanted to get the distilleries on record responding to x,y and z rumors. People may or may not believe the responses, but it's unfair to attack the author for not writing the article you'd like to read.

Guru

Clay I don't have a problem with the article, the information contained in it or the way it's presented. My difficulty is Fred's assertion that he must accept what he is told by the PR departments until they are proven wrong. That was an unnecessary addendum of his personal viewpoint and is a position with which I strongly disagree.

Parroting PR and stating it must be accepted is a disparagement of the intelligence of the readership.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I'll bet that Jim Rutledge and Mark Brown will be surprised to hear they're in the PR departments!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Of course they are Joe, part of their job is to promote the brands through relations with the public. Which is the very defining meaning of personal appearances at dinners, tastings, events, etc., and neither of these gentlemen, along with Jimmy Russel, Fred Noe, Craig Beam, Harlen Wheatley, John Lunn, or anyone else in a similar position going to speak publicly anything other than the company position.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Of course they are Joe, part of their job is to promote the brands through relations with the public. Which is the very defining meaning of personal appearances at dinners, tastings, events, etc., and neither of these gentlemen, along with Jimmy Russel, Fred Noe, Craig Beam, Harlen Wheatley, John Lunn, or anyone else in a similar position going to speak publicly anything other than the company position.
    Squire, there is a huge difference in being employed within the PR Department, and performing elements of certain functions within that department. The most important part to those two gentlemen, is the number 0's in their respective pay checks... And, if you think one of the men you listed doesn't step out from a so called "company line", I suggest you re-read the "Mind = Blown" thread.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Joe you're correct about pay checks. I'm reminded of the words of Col. Thursday in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" when a subordinate mistakenly called him "General" (a brevet rank he held in the Civil War) he snapped, "I'm not a General, Captain. A man is what he's paid for. I'm paid in the rank of Lt. Colonel".

Anyone who draws a pay check from a company and accepts public engagements offered because of their position in that company is engaging in public relations. I don't think any of the gentlemen I mentioned is going to publicly speak against their employer any more than the president of Coca-Cola is going to say he really prefers Pepsi.