Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

The Stages of this Hobby

Being fairly new to bourbon (I'm only 25, haven't legally had a lot of time), I find myself in what I feel is the second stage of this bourbon hobby. The first is your original tastes and kick-starter (for me, it was Bulleit). Now, the second stage, I am tasting everything I can. I have found myself buying bottle after bottle (2-3 per week) and trying everything I can. Now that I have slowed down my buying, and settled in at about 25 open bottles, what are my next stages? I think the next stage would be focusing in on a brand or style of something I like and trying everything from that brand/style.

What do you think?

Virtuoso

Re: The Stages of this Hobby

What do I think? I think having 25 bottles open at 25 years old is pretty awesome. Hell of a start! There's no set map for where to progress, but analyzing your preferences makes a lot of sense. Maybe try some blind tasting, if possible. That will really open your eyes about what you like and why.

Guru

Kyle I would go with a theme such as high rye or low rye Bourbons, then wheat Bourbons, then Ryes. Of course if you find you like the high rye Bourbons right off the bat then go straight to the Ryes next.

And, yes, taste them blind.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

I think the next stage is bunkering things you like I am in a similar boat to you,but add about 22 years of age, wish I had started at 25! I am currently thinning the herd of open bottles and buying repeats of the ones I like that may be harder to get later on for bunkering.
    Last edited by DrBob; 03-31-2014 at 20:51.

Connoisseur

I think I'm going to be in the phase of wanting to try everything for quite a while still. There are still a lot of bottles that I've bought that I have not had the chance to try.

However, when I try something I like, I do bunker some. I do so with the understanding that my preferences may change over time. So, what I like earlier on may not be liked as much later on as I progress in this hobby. I have already experienced that several times.
    - H

Enthusiast

Definitely need to thin out things I don't think I will buy again, or have an interest in accumulating. Then start trying more of what I like. I would love to have one of each Four Roses Single Barrel recipes.

Enthusiast

The next stage will be to start purchasing wine and ditch the bourbon. An alternate would be to move into scotch and ditch the bourbon. One way or another, you will likely ditch the bourbon.

Virtuoso

Now, as your bunker expands, you start explaining to people how you don't have a drinking problem, just a bit of a buying issue.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

There is a key stage you are all missing.

Get your partner to start enjoying bourbon as well. Once they are hooked..well its twice the fun and it saves arguments about cost :P

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Vietish View Post
    There is a key stage you are all missing.

Get your partner to start enjoying bourbon as well. Once they are hooked..well its twice the fun and it saves arguments about cost :P
    Good luck with that!! I think it's easier at his age to find someone who likes it instead from the start.

I would suggest reading more and start honing into what you like so you can limit on some purchases that you may not like unless you are doing well where all 25 were good buys for you.

Start to know what you like may be a good next step.