Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Ardbeg Supernova Returns

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Interesting. I didn't see a single bottle of Ardbeg Day out in MD. We typically get a significant quantity of the Ardbeg limited releases.
    Just to reinforce this point: I walked into my local bottle shop today and saw Galileo, Ardbog, and Auriverdes all hanging out on the shelf together. I keep hoping the owners will start discounting the Galileo to get rid of it. I really enjoyed that one, up to and including the silly packaging. I don't $129.99 like it, though.

I'm really hoping to hear more about the 2014 Supernova release soon, since my big purchase today sort of ate up about 80% of the rest of my annual scotch budget.
    Eric

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Just to reinforce this point: I walked into my local bottle shop today and saw Galileo, Ardbog, and Auriverdes all hanging out on the shelf together. I keep hoping the owners will start discounting the Galileo to get rid of it. I really enjoyed that one, up to and including the silly packaging. I don't $129.99 like it, though.

I'm really hoping to hear more about the 2014 Supernova release soon, since my big purchase today sort of ate up about 80% of the rest of my annual scotch budget.
    I'm looking forward to SN2014 too - hopefully more details will be available soon. I can't think of much that interests me among the fall releases but this and the HW MWND certainly qualifies.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

I heard this could be a mid-late fall release. Anyone else hear similar? Can't wait, if I can get enough of it I may use it as cologne for the first week!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I heard this could be a mid-late fall release. Anyone else hear similar? Can't wait, if I can get enough of it I may use it as cologne for the first week!
    You need all the help you can get there... Eau de Oogie hahah

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

I actually really liked the Ardbog, I liked the Day, but thought the Alligator and Galilio were unimpressive. Have open bottles of all so I guess I will revisit.
    Still have an open SN 2009 (I'm on my third bottle) so look forward to comparing.
    Last edited by agoldf; 08-20-2014 at 17:00.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by agoldf View Post
    I actually really liked the Ardbog, I liked the Day, but thought the Alligator and Galilio were unimpressive. Have open bottles of all so I guess I will revisit.
    Still have an open SN 2009 (I'm on my third bottle) so look forward to comparing.
    My bottle of Ardbog was quaffable finally after a year of sitting on the shelf for me... Can't wait for this SN2014

Connoisseur

My local store is claiming an October/November arrival time for this. I'm not 100% on that, but they at least seem to know it exists.
    Eric

Guru

Oliver Klimek's notes for those interested. Reportedly to be released mid September so could easily be a while before it is available in the US.

Freshly waxed hospital floors? Black Forest Ham? I am thinking maybe there was a very specific herbal component involved in doing this review...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I got the Ardbeg Committee email today. It actually had very helpful info in it, as in the names and contact info for the stores in MD that are getting it. I was able to reserve a bottle from a store that is getting six. I haven't worked with these guys before, but none of my usual haunts seem to be on the list to get it. Their whisky guy took down my name and contact info and said that 3 had been spoken for, but I was guaranteed mine. We shall see. This is probably the last time for awhile that I'll be buying an Ardbeg special release blind, hopefully I don't regret it. Price was $159, and the store thinks they'll be getting it in the next week or two. Marylanders: PM me and I'll pass you the name and contact info of the stores that are getting it.

PS: The author of Dramming often seems to notice herbal notes and Black Forest Ham in Ardbeg, so I wouldn't let that discourage you too much.
    Eric

Guru

Bloggers have received their samples so we should start seeing some feedback (caveat emptor and all that)