Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Hypothetical- Will Four Roses ever make a wheater?

Wouldn't that be fun? To see what Rutledge could do with that style? Has anyone ever asked him about that? As a special release or something. Juggling 10 different recipes is already a Herculean task I'm sure, but still, that would be very interesting.

Re: Hypothetical- Will Four Roses ever make a wheater?

I don't think he's been asked about a wheater. I seem to remember that he's been asked about a rye. I can't remember the response though.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

It was a big, fat, hell no!
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    It was a big, fat, hell no!
    Oh bummer, might have the same reaction to a wheater. Although its still a bourbon. Maybe he hates rye whiskey!!!!

Guru

This is just a complete guess, but I think that a lot of guys that have been in the bourbon biz for decades think of rye as a mixer more than a sipper. And given Four Roses' not-so-distant past I think they want to steer clear of any kind of "mixer" stigma. As for the wheater, I don't know. They already have 10 different bourbon recipes. More than anyone else I think. I would bet their attitude would be "why?"
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

That's an interesting question, but I get the impression that there isn't much interest in that on Jim's part. As for rye, I'm sure they have one or more rye recipes in their file cabinet from the Seagram's days, but Jim has said that they have enough trouble keeping up with demand for their bourbons, they don't have time or space for rye, or something to that effect.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That's an interesting question, but I get the impression that there isn't much interest in that on Jim's part. As for rye, I'm sure they have one or more rye recipes in their file cabinet from the Seagram's days, but Jim has said that they have enough trouble keeping up with demand for their bourbons, they don't have time or space for rye, or something to that effect.
    I see. Oh well, still be fun to see what he said about wheated bourbon. And fun to wonder about him making it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

I asked Jim R. about a rye a few months ago at a tasting - his reply was that capacity constraints prevent them from attempting it at this time; bourbon demand has got them max'd out. I'm sure the answer is the same for a wheater. Rye seems a logical next step if they can increase capacity; a wheater, if at all a thought, has to be behind that.
    Mark

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I don't think he's been asked about a wheater. I seem to remember that he's been asked about a rye. I can't remember the response though.
    Hmm, that would be interesting too. But a classic rye (~51% rye grain) might not be too terribly different than some of their bourbons being that they're already such a high rye recipe? A wheater, on the other hand, would be very different I would think. Who's got a line to Rutledge??

Guru

Jim's been asked numerous times, and at least when I've been present, his answer has been: "No.".
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."