Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: whiskies that fail to list State of Distillation?

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Dear Mr. Woodard:

Thank you for reaching out to our office concerning TTB labeling policies. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue and value the chance to respond.

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau plays an important role in regulating alcohol sales. As you pointed out, the labeling policies have substantial implications for local businesses and consumers. It is important that our policies are adhered to and the failure to do so should have repercussions. Furthermore, as a proud Texan, I firmly oppose businesses importing goods and falsely labeling them as being made in our state.

I assure you that I will look into the matter and work to protect local businesses in Texas. While I do not sit on the Banking and Financial Services Committee which regulates the Treasury Department and all subsequent agencies under it, I will write a letter to the Commissioner of the TTB to enquire about these allegations and how they are enforcing these labeling requirements and investigation potential violations.

Thank you again for contacting my office. Please do not hesitate to do so in the future if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Gene Green
    Member of Congress
    Ha Ha, thats awesome. Hope it goes somewhere, and some of these violators are punished to the maximum. (WHatever that may be) I think that when you see people getting snippy online when you are pointing out the obvious, that the labels are misleading consumers to believe its a true Texas made product, you can probably bet a large percentage of the time those people are family/friends/somehow related to the company or companies you are calling out for their deceptive practices. I would say its less likely they are just consumers who refuse to accept the reality they've been duped. Much more likey they're involved and hoping to silence any criticism before the flames get fanned too high. Which is why I say it will put a smile on my face if there is a day this proceeds to the final point it should, of violators facing not only fines & punishment, but a true public shaming to the people of Texas they've been deceiving.

Disciple

I have as much faith in the TBB acutally doing their job as I do the VA, IRS, and ICE.

Not gonna happen.

Where else can you get a job and not to perform in like forever? Well other than the Chicago Cubs

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Where else can you get a job and not to perform in like forever? Well other than the Chicago Cubs
    And all meteorologists ever...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Mean Gene Green, first in the pool. Good job, Wade.

Don't mess with Texas.

Nothing so far from my rep, or from the co-chairs of the Congressional Bourbon Caucus, or from KDA, but I can say my letter has been respectfully received and distributed at DISCUS and they're looking into it.

Connoisseur

Retailers probably don't help to clarify the situation much. Got an email ad for Goody Goody today, sale off all Texas-made bottles. You can be sure several of those aren't truly Texas-made.

Enthusiast

Not sure, but should Rough Rider bourbon be included in this list?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    I have as much faith in the TBB acutally doing their job as I do the VA, IRS, and ICE.

Not gonna happen.

I forgot to add the CDC to the list, misplaced vials, I mean words can't describe.

Disciple

Put another log on the fire, Indio Spirits-James Oliver Rye "produced & bottled by Indio Spirits, Portland, Oregon". One that Gary-darylld911 had posted about back in January http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ighlight=indio and made its way to Binny's.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Note that 5.65(e) also applies to this issue.

(e) Place of origin. The advertisement shall not represent that the distilled spirits were manufactured in or imported from a place or country other than that of their actual origin, or were produced or processed by one who was not in fact the actual producer or processor.

Unfortunately, the rules allow anyone who does anything, i.e., a bottler, to legally use the term 'produced by,' even though the consumer probably understands the meaning of 'produced by' differently.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I believe Traverse City Whiskey Company is also in violation of the state of distillilation rule.
    you sure? most of their labels state distilled, aged and bottled by them in Michigan.