Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: whiskies that fail to list State of Distillation?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

updated list that anybody with this link can add to if they wish.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

updated list that anybody with this link can add to if they wish.
    Not sure how to find the TTB labels but pretty sure that in addition to the Jefferson Reserve the newer Jefferson Ocean and the Jefferson 10yo rye don't give any indication of state of distillation. The Jeff Rye used to say Canada but hasn't said that in a long time.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru
    I think you are thinking of Grand Traverse Distillery, Wade. Different company entirely.

Traverse City Whiskey Co. has confirmed to me that they use sourced bourbon from "the Midwest" and we all know what that means. The last bottle I saw had no mention of the state of distillation.
    Last edited by Josh; 07-22-2014 at 14:29.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Not sure how to find the TTB labels but pretty sure that in addition to the Jefferson Reserve the newer Jefferson Ocean and the Jefferson 10yo rye don't give any indication of state of distillation. The Jeff Rye used to say Canada but hasn't said that in a long time.
    The newer Jefferson Ocean says bottled in Louisville, KY. I suspect that it is MGPi form IN, but I have no real knowledge of that. If in fact it is made with sourced whiskey distilled in KY, then they are not violating 5.36 (d).

This law works well with fakers from other states, but if bottle has KY bottle/produce/etc on label, then hard to say they are violating the law.
    Last edited by wadewood; 07-22-2014 at 17:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I think you are thinking of Grand Traverse Distillery, Wade. Different company entirely.

Traverse City Whiskey Co. has confirmed to me that they use sourced bourbon from "the Midwest" and we all know what that means. The last bottle I saw had no mention of the state of distillation.
    I did indeed get these mixed up. My list is mostly fakers in Texas because I know what is going on in my state. Hence I posted my spreadsheet so anybody can add fakers from their state.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

In addition to DISCUS, the President's Forum (another industry organization) has gotten interested in this. Certainly the big companies, who are pretty scrupulous about compliance since they have so much at stake, like the idea of a grassroots movement urging TTB to enforce this simple rule, which mostly falls on upstarts and fly-by-nights.

One brand that I have not included in my list that I was aware was in violation was Smooth Ambler out of West Virginia. I did not include because they and their website has always been upfront that the Smooth Ambler Old Scout brand was sourced whiskey (and they are putting out some great bourbon in that line).

I contacted them today and asked about 5.36(d) compliance. They were unaware of this requirement when they originally obtained COLA approvals. They are now aware have resubmitted COLA labels to be in compliance. It will take the TTB a while to approve and Smooth Ambler will be allowed to use up old labels, but kudos to them for complying and being about the most honest whiskey company ever.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    One brand that I have not included in my list that I was aware was in violation was Smooth Ambler out of West Virginia. I did not include because they and their website has always been upfront that the Smooth Ambler Old Scout brand was sourced whiskey (and they are putting out some great bourbon in that line).

I contacted them today and asked about 5.36(d) compliance. They were unaware of this requirement when they originally obtained COLA approvals. They are now aware have resubmitted COLA labels to be in compliance. It will take the TTB a while to approve and Smooth Ambler will be allowed to use up old labels, but kudos to them for complying and being about the most honest whiskey company ever.
    It is my understanding from reading tons of posts about them here, that for the vast majority of their labels, have been in compliance, just a few have not??
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    It is my understanding from reading tons of posts about them here, that for the vast majority of their labels, have been in compliance, just a few have not??
    Smooth Ambler is an active grain to glass distiller making many types of spirits including bourbon. Their Old Scout line is the name of the products that they source. They have sold both ryes and bourbons of various ages under the Old Scout name. These had statement of bottled in West Virginia, but failed to list actual state of distillation. That will be corrected.

Guru

That's stand up performance.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.