Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Guru

Re: What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

Finally cracked this 375ml Early Times 150th Anniversary bottle. Picked it up on sale more than a year ago, and then read reviews which didn't paint a pretty picture (not that I expected anything special for the $9 or $10 I paid). I'm glad I read the negative reviews, as it exceeded my expectations. Very mellow as I expected - reminds me a bit of Dickel; loads of corn with a more abrasive finish. Not something I'll reach for often, but not something I'd spill out either.
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dboland View Post
    Had some PHC#8 and continue to love it - I wouldn't know it was not a bourbon without the label. I have heard rumors that there was a third batch released recently. Anybody here see it on the shelves?
    I have asked about it but so far no sign of it as far as I know.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dboland View Post
    Had some PHC#8 and continue to love it - I wouldn't know it was not a bourbon without the label.

Same. Had a nice pour of this last night while watching Mad Men. The smoothness of the wheat is going great with the warmer spring temperatures we've been having the last few days.

Guru

Managed to acquire several bottles of the 2015 "Devil's Bit" from McMenamin's this year. They are sold only on St. Patrick's Day but my connection just got them to me this past weekend. This year the bottling is a bit younger at 5 years but is kind of interesting in that it uses the same Maris Otter barley found in the Glenmo Private Edition Tusail. The other difference besides the age is that the Devil's Bit was aged entirely in a local Syrah port style cask.

Should make for an interesting comparison.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Virtuoso

Enjoying a pour of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey tonight. This is just an absolutely outstanding gentle whiskey. I don't know how well it sells, but I hope well enough to keep it on the shelves. Because this will be a regular pour for me.
    Eric

Guru

The new version of HW Bourye seems to have hit town in my absence. I expect it may make an appearance head to head with the original at the Wednesday tasting tomorrow!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The new version of HW Bourye seems to have hit town in my absence. I expect it may make an appearance head to head with the original at the Wednesday tasting tomorrow!
    Eagerly awaiting your results! Its available in MD for $73, which is a bit high but not unreasonable if the whiskey is excellent.
    Eric

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Eagerly awaiting your results! Its available in MD for $73, which is a bit high but not unreasonable if the whiskey is excellent.
    Ditto - I passed on it as well (can't recall for what price), so look forward to your thoughts!

Enjoying a nice pour of HW Campfire XO (which is "mostly" American whiskey, but not sure there is a thread it fits better!)
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Apprentice

I'm about halfway through a bottle of Balcones 5th Anniversary Bourbon and have had a pour of it tonight. Wonderful stuff.

Virtuoso

Bernheim age stated again tonight. Brilliant unpretentious stuff.
    Eric