Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I have a Charbay S sample coming my way so I'll have a better idea soon.

It's truly tragic and unfortunately, I'm priced out of Karuizawa now.
    You and me both.

Guru

I tried the Charbay S last night and you can tell it's in the same family as the Release III but it's definitely muted in comparison.

That said, I think I like it enough to pull in a bottle (or two) - next to try is the R5.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Last night I had two pours from an open bottle of Balcones Rumble. Damn this is fine whiskey and I have been hoping the bottle will last until I see another.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Last night I had two pours from an open bottle of Balcones Rumble. Damn this is fine whiskey and I have been hoping the bottle will last until I see another.
    Although I agree the Rumble, at least the cask strength version, is a mighty fine pour (the regular Rumble is OK but doesn't stand up to her big sister!) she is definitely not a whiskey. Being made of honey, sugar and "fig spirit" of some sort (a fig eau de vie I presume) the closest relative would be a rum/fruit brandy blend I suppose.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I tried the Charbay S last night and you can tell it's in the same family as the Release III but it's definitely muted in comparison.

That said, I think I like it enough to pull in a bottle (or two) - next to try is the R5.
    Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated. I saw it on sale recently so I might have to pick up a bottle

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Although I agree the Rumble, at least the cask strength version, is a mighty fine pour (the regular Rumble is OK but doesn't stand up to her big sister!) she is definitely not a whiskey. Being made of honey, sugar and "fig spirit" of some sort (a fig eau de vie I presume) the closest relative would be a rum/fruit brandy blend I suppose.
    Whoops I need to pay more attention to the label. It is the Cask Strenght and it is damn fine.

Virtuoso

Got back into the Mellow Corn tonight after a lengthy time away. Really smooth and easy drinking. Probably will bring this back into the rotation for a while...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kpiz View Post
    If you like the weird ones, the Lost Spirits Leviathan III is solid as well. I liked it more than the Umami when I tried them but both were good. And weird.

Did you try the Charbay S as well? I've been eyeing that one but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It'd be great to get your thoughts.
    Sipping on Umami tonight and it's uhh... Well it's weird alright. I'm not sure what I'm drinking and honestly it has left me dazed/confused.

Umami isn't the right way to describe it though - will revisit on a clean palate and repost.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

I had to get my own bottle after finishing my sample...

Charbay Release III

Guru

I cringe at the sight of that label.......hops are what is wrong with beer, now someone is intentionally putting it in whiskey?

different strokes....
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.