Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What "Other American Whisky" are you drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Last night started a concerted effort to empty my Balcones Rumble Cask Strenght. It's an excellent whiskey but if I never have another it won't be a loss either.

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    Wasnt that bad boy really limited or am I thinking of the Brimstone Resurrection?
    Sorry but I really don't know if it was limited or not but then again I've never seen another bottle in the past year.

Last evening spent sometime with JD 90 proof. Going to save the rest of the bottle for my Son.
    As I recall, and as the website seems to confirm, the original cask strength version of Rumble was something of an accident as a several "forgotten" barrels (stop me if you have heard this story before...) of Rumble were discovered and found to be delicious and so mingled and bottled as a special cask strength edition.

Presumably subsequent limited edition batches have been a bit more intentional!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

JD 90 proof. Going to save the rest of the bottle for my Son.
    Why, do you not like him?
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    Why, do you not like him?
    Good one 4i, love him bunches but we all have to find our own way to the promised land.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Dickel 14 yr to finish up. On my short list for American Whiskey (bourbon) of the Year. Gorgeous whiskey. The 9 year is nice, but the 14 has more body and depth to it. One of the most chewy whiskies I've ever tasted, and the finish is beyond spectacular.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

rub it in, joe.....

If I ever saw one of the 14 year Dickels, I think Id be inclined to ignore my $50 rule. With the 9 year being my favorite whiskey of all, Id have to know what the 14 year is like.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    rub it in, joe.....

If I ever saw one of the 14 year Dickels, I think Id be inclined to ignore my $50 rule. With the 9 year being my favorite whiskey of all, Id have to know what the 14 year is like.
    Binnys Did two 14yrs, one was woody, one was spicy. We picked a barrel for the bar and split it with West Lakeview Liquors in Chicago (they may have some left) I think they were selling them for $75. Its on the spicy side, reminds me more of old rye than a dickel mash.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Dickel 14 yr to finish up. On my short list for American Whiskey (bourbon) of the Year. Gorgeous whiskey. The 9 year is nice, but the 14 has more body and depth to it. One of the most chewy whiskies I've ever tasted, and the finish is beyond spectacular.
    I haven't tried the 9 year, but I agree that the 14 year is terrific. It didn't wow me at first sip, but it has blossomed after being open for a couple of months. Great stuff, and fairly priced IMO at around $70.

Apprentice

I tried the TPS Dickel 9 and 14 SBS, and preferred the profile of the 9, particularly for the difference in price. However, I've come to like it less. Other American whiskeys I hit on occasion: Stranhan's, Charbay R5, Balcone's Baby Blue.

Enthusiast

Having a nightcap of Vermont Night. It's a local (Spirits of St. Louis) whiskey based product with some spices and maple syrup added. Very interesting. Makes for a nice nightcap and could be interesting in a cocktail.
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Advanced Taster

Just killed a bottle of Balcones Brimstone been around awhile really finishing up nice.

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society