Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Astor Wines no longer shipping spirits

Not sure what the best place is for this so feel free to move.

Came out of nowhere to me and is very annoying as they join The Party Source in caving to the absurdity of restrictions on spirits that is the bureaucratic idiocy of alcohol laws in this country.

Only slightly less annoying is the fact that unlike The Party Source that owned up to it and makes it clear that they can no longer ship, Astor Wines has so far said nothing about it on their home page.

Not sure what the impact is on other big New York shippers like Drink Up NY yet but I can't imagine it will be good. From what I have been told from a reliable source one of the major shippers (Fedex and/or UPS, who have profited from this for years as well) have ratted out the industry to the State Liquor Authority to cover their own ass. Apparently the SLA, which for years was perfectly aware that stores were shipping, has now decided to "investigate". Smaller stores not on the radar they way Astor and DUNY may be, may still be willing to ship but it will likely be a case by case proposition.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Novice

Re: Astor Wines no longer shipping spirits

Other than DUNY, are there any other retailers out there that still ship?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kwats7 View Post
    Some still ship to selected states. But few places will ship to every state. Sometimes a smaller store will be willing to ship although that can be variable.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Kwats7 View Post
    Plenty of 'em tho' like tans said, finding ones that ship to a specific state can be a problem.
    Visit winesearcher and do a search - you'll find a load of shippers.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post

Came out of nowhere to me and is very annoying as they join The Party Source in caving to the absurdity of restrictions on spirits that is the bureaucratic idiocy of alcohol laws in this country.
    It's not called "caving" --- it's called preserving your liquor license.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

Long-story short, it was UPS that killed Astor's out-of-state shipping of spirits. I placed an order with Astor during President's Day weekend, it shipped out via UPS, made it as far as Spokane (I'm in Seattle), and then was recalled. Astor called me to inform me that UPS put the kibosh on their shipping of spirits out-of-state and turned around several other orders, so the out-of-state shipping actually ceased in late February. Someone at Astor suggested that UPS and FedEx were under some political pressure on the state level, which suggests it's more about taxes than federal law.

P.S. - I ended up getting a friend to pick up my order from Astor and he shipped it to me.

Guru

Goes to show it pays to be resourceful. I've never tried shipping a bottle to a friend via UPS. Do you need to pre-package before you ship or declare it's a liquid?

Disciple

Interesting. Astor's website still shows that they ship.

I inquired with K&L why they weren't able to ship to Washington State while others were. They said that our state doesn't allow licenses for out of state sales that ship to here and that other retailers are skirting the rules. They also said that the Washington Attorney Generals office is actively trying to stop it. I wonder if they got to UPS? (Pure speculation.)

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by flahute View Post

I inquired with K&L why they weren't able to ship to Washington State while others were. They said that our state doesn't allow licenses for out of state sales that ship to here and that other retailers are skirting the rules. They also said that the Washington Attorney Generals office is actively trying to stop it. I wonder if they got to UPS? (Pure speculation.)
    If you add spirits to your cart on the cart page there are two warnings at the bottom: "Currently spirits are only available for shipment to Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens." and "Currently spirits cannot be shipped via UPS of FedEx."

It could very well be the Washington AG. Astor suggested it was actually coming from NY's AG, so perhaps it's both.

Sucks for us Washingtonians. Options becoming more limited.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by flahute View Post
    If you click the link at bottom for shipping info it says they do not ship spirits by common carrier any more.