Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

small whiskey containers

Metal flasks aside, What are good options for affordable, small quantity containers for whiskey?

I generally avoid the behind the counter 250 ml and 375 ml retail whiskeys which would make decent containers, I avoid them because the ones I find seem way out of line pricewise.

are plastics suitable for whiskey containers? Like tupperware/rubbermaid style plastic bottles ..ish?

Please excuse if this has been discussed before, I was struggling to find relevant info with the search feature.

So I guess the obvious containers in general that come to mind are: metal flasks, 50ml, 250ml and 375 ml bottles... what else?

Like if I have some friends that would like to sample one of the whiskeys I have, is there a cheap easy container to safely hold a serving so as to not have to transport the whole whiskey bottle?

Connoisseur

Re: small whiskey containers

I bought these recently to help with premium bottles that start to run low:

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Round-B...+Oz+Pack+of+12

Search for "Boston Round Bottles, 2 Oz Pack of 12" if that link doesn't work.

Advanced Taster

I found 24 4 oz. Amber Boston Round Glass Bottles for 25$ USD from Uline which doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Advanced Taster

Dcbt: that's a nice find! thanks!

I'm looking through this uline website and finding even cheaper deals on clear glass containers than the amber boston rounds .
    starting to find some neat options.

Advanced Taster

Photo on 2014-04-20 at 14.49.jpghere's one container that I have adopted/adapted from my homebrewing background. It's the yeast tube that white labs ships their liquid yeasts in.
    I dunno if there are any issues with the whiskey interacting with the plastics.

Connoisseur

Nalgene (tm) makes a 12 oz. (350ml) plastic flask that is food-safe @ $9.00. It comes with a 1 oz. measuring cap and a removable plastic sleeve but no funnel. Check Amazon (or elsewhere online) for "Nalgene flask".

If you have a Container Store near you (and can trust yourself NOT to load up on storage boxes, bungy cords, & similar stuff you don't need), browse their kitchen & travel bins -lots of variously sized bottles, vials, etc. - for something that might work.

FWIW, Smirnoff vodka can be found in plastic flasks & bottles from time to time (as can Seagrams 7 - don't laugh, the local college kids will trade hard labor for it) that are 750ml or smaller. Keep your eyes open as even with the booze they may be cheaper than the Nalgene flask.

Apprentice

Specialty bottle has tons of options. I just ordered more of the 2 and 4 oz Boston round bottles. Check them out. Go in with a buddy to split shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

I'm looking for a solution to this as well, at present.

The Bostons look like they'll do the job, but I'd like something that might look a bit more attractive. I think I'd like clear glass so that I could compare whiskey sample colors without having to open the bottle and pour, and maybe a rectangular profile that's not going to roll off a table if it gets knocked over.

Just thoughts. I'll report back if I find something awesome.

tbt

Enthusiast

Looking at the specialty bottle site, there are some cool options.

I'd like synthetic corks, or at least I think I would - stuff in these sample bottles will probably be going in the car to friends' houses and from what I understand, it's not good to have the liquor sloshing up against a natural cork?

Do the plastic screw tops do a better job of sealing than a synthetic cork?

tbt

Enthusiast

here we go:

http://www.freundcontainer.com/liquor-bottles/c/670/

Looks like the business. Even has liquor as the recommended use.

tbt