Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Handcrafted bourbon?

Probably because of beer, I usually think of words like "handcrafted" to be synonymous with "micro" (micro-brewery, micro-distillery). Of course, that begs the question, what is "micro?"... It probably has an exact production quantity tied to its definition but I'm sure liberties are taken with that as well... Hell, the liquor industry can't even be consistent with how many bottles are considered a case...
    Last edited by dcbt; 04-28-2014 at 09:51.

Guru

Some States (Washington for instance) have defined micros by placing a cap on production. Less than 60,000 gallons a year your are a craft/micro, more than that you're not.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

The American Crafts Distillers Association (www.americancraftdistillers.org) and the American Distilling Institute (www.distilling.com) both represent their craft distiller members. Both define a craft distiller as one producing no more than 100,000 proof gallons per year. I could find no federal regulation and no TTB ruling or circular prescriptively defining a "craft" distiller or producer. There is a 1979 Industry Circular issued by the former BATF (IC 1979-8) discussing the use of "barrel proof" and related terms which is interesting but off point.

The federal regulations for beer taxes apply a reduced tax rate to the first 60,000 barrels (@ 31 gallons/bbl) if the brewer makes no more than 2 million bbls (@ 31 gal/bbl) per year. (See 27 CFR 25.152.) I guess one could argue that this is a "micro" or "craft" level.

I found nothing on "hand crafted".

How much, and what kind of, handwork must be involved in making a product for it to be "hand crafted"? Can one use power tools, or are only hand tools allowable? If both, what proportion is ok?

While some small distillers/producers may use "hand crafted" to accurately describe the subjective care and attention given to the product, others may use the phrase only to evoke the image of TLC while sticking hands in the process (yeast-throwing, bottle-labeling, label-signing, etc., and combos thereof) only enough to avoid charges by TTB, FTC, and State consumer protection offices that use of the phrase is "false and misleading" or "unfair and deceptive" and the civil-money-penalties associated with such charges.

How to tell whether use of the phrase is in good faith? Know the seller.

Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure there is no good faith use for "hand crafted" in the production of an alcohol

Maybe the designer bottle it comes in...

tbt

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    Absolutely. Each distiller makes up their own definition of what constitutes a "small batch" anyway. It really only tells you that it's not "single barrel".
    Sometimes it doesn't even mean that. WT RR Small Batch Single Barrel is both SmB and SB.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

SB and SmB on the label is for those who can't make up their mind.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Sometimes it doesn't even mean that. WT RR Small Batch Single Barrel is both SmB and SB.
    Forgot about that one. Crazy. Did they ever clarify that label? Is it so they can use either single barrel or small batch? I guess single barrel is the smallest batch you could have!

Guru

I am in Sawyer MI just up the road from Three Oaks where Journeyman Distillery is located.
    We went there and Greenbush Brewery in Sawyer.
    I had a whiskey "flight" at Journeyman,....the most disgusting rot-gut swill I have ever drank.
    More info on both places with pics tomorrow when we get home.
    ovh

Connoisseur

I was enjoying some EHT SmB last night and got to reading the label. After boasting "Let the label tell the truth," they tell us that not only is the whiskey from an undefined small batch at OFC but it is also hand crafted using techniques employed by EHT himself. One of the truths I would like to see on labels--even though I don't actually need it--is the real name of the distiller. It's as if Cadillac were ashamed to acknowledge that they are made by the same people as Chevrolets. And who makes Calumet, by the way?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

I think don't think we've figured that one out yet but MGP is a contender. The Calumet web site emphasizes the product comes from hand selected barrels which I guess distinguishes it from robot selected barrels.