Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bourbon/Whiskey Availability in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by kjbeggs View Post
    I can concur pretty much with Eskwar's statements.
    Never seen any Old Scout in DFW (sadly).
    If you've got ETL up there, I'd suggest you stock up (if you don't like ETL, you can just bring it to me instead), as it's gotten scarce around here.
    Sounds like I'll have to stock up on the OS here. We're having the same scarcity of ETL here. Haven't seen it since September/October. Still being told 'next month'. Same as last month and the month before.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Texas has very good availability of bourbon; among the best in the nation. Every brand you listed is available in Texas. For, the limited release stuff like PHC/OFBB/BTAC Texas gets it's fair share but there are also just as many hunting for those so they go quick. Either develop a good relationship with a retailer or get lucky in finding it.

Here is a site you can search for labels that have been approved for sale by Texas: https://label.tabc.state.tx.us/esd3-...ion_=keysearch
    I know the general availability is pretty good. I moved out of the Waco/Temple area last year and swore I'd never move back (to that area anyway - I was born and raised in Texas and love most of it). Now I'm having to move back. I never found the selection in that area to be very good. The Spec's in Temple and Waco never seemed to get much in the way of special releases that I can recall. Same with the Twin's in both places. Wanted to grab as much as I could here to hold me between out of town trips to FW and Austin. Maybe the landscape has changed over the last year, but I'm not particularly optimistic. Thanks for the link - I'll spend some time with it over the next several months.

Enthusiast

If you like Weller, Texas is the place for you. I often wonder what my everyday pour would be if I had to move out of state since apparently it's hard to find almost everywhere else.

Advanced Taster

You can get a good idea of what's available from Specs & Total Wine in Texas
    http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/s...m=&pricethru=&

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/categor...viewPerPage/96

Guru

That's way too easy, man.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    If you like Weller, Texas is the place for you.
    I took this for granted before I moved out here. Its pretty tough to find here, but if you look hard enough you can run across a few here & there. I was visiting a friend in Austin last month and stopped by his local store and saw the bounty of Weller. At the time I wasn't sure if I would be coming back or staying here, so I bought a bunch of bottles (and they were $5 cheaper than any I've seen here), but since I was flying I couldn't get them back. As he'd never had it we opened one up and spent the evening with it. He loved it, so he had half a bottle left to finish on his own. When I signed my contract for work and finalized the intent to move back I told him and his first question was "Since you're coming back and can get this in Texas, can I open another of these bottles?". I said sure and his response was as giddy as a school girl! I may not have anything left of that purchase when I get back, but at least it may begin to expand his horizons and hopefully give us more opportunities to share in some good bourbons.

Enthusiast

What impresses me about this thread, since I've done most of my bourbon buying in Texas, is that Colorado must be pretty awesome shopping. Duly noted! tbt

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Tot View Post
    What impresses me about this thread, since I've done most of my bourbon buying in Texas, is that Colorado must be pretty awesome shopping. Duly noted! tbt
    It isn't bad for the most part. I can find most of what I want around here. PVW and BTAC are no different here than anywhere else, but otherwise its not too hard to get what you want if you are willing to put in a little leg work. ECBP has been pretty elusive as well. There are a few shops I've found that some others won't shop at because they are across the board 10-15% higher than other sellers. Small price to pay I guess, but at least I have a few prizes in my bunker.

Just saw SAOS on the shelf for the first time this weekend, at Spec's.

Enthusiast

Downtown Specs, or one of their other stores?
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."