Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Why do bottles improve after opening?

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    I definitely agree that bourbons change after opening, but not necessarily for the better. I generally prefer the more vibrant flavors that come out when a bourbon has had little air time. And some, in particular 4R products, seem to go downhill relatively quickly after being opened.
    Yeah those limited edition SmBs got super weird after being open a month. The Single Barrels at barrel strength tend to hold up though.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Enthusiast

Can you guys please elaborate on this? I have never had a bottle of bourbon go "weird" on me in the slightest. The closest I've seen to this phenomenon is a bottle getting a little "tired" after being open for more than a year.

Taster

Howdy,

Opening up sure seems to help Old Forester Signature; the "nose" improves significantly.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Howdy,

Opening up sure seems to help Old Forester Signature; the "nose" improves significantly.
    Howdy,

I have bottles that have been open for years with no diminishing returns. Some have only a few ounces in them. I got no worries. Not saying that Oxegyn has no effect over time. Just little or none. And it never goes weird or bad at my house. Just sayin....
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

That's been my experience too.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

I have had no problems so far with long open bottles either. I would only note that it is worthwhile to check the status of the cork periodically in bottles with real corks because they can dry out and no longer seal well. I have lost at least one bottle to this problem in the past. I am liking the idea of the good quality screw top closures typically found on Japanese whiskey more and more. Not likely to have an issue with those.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

With some of my bottles that are less than half full I have put the vacuvin Wine style stoppers on them. What is the consensus on this? It definitely removes all the air from the bottle but I also wonder if this also removes some of the alcohol vapor and if that is more detrimental than having a lot of air in there. Overall I have not noticed any issues but not sure what long term affect this may have.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dcam1075 View Post
    With some of my bottles that are less than half full I have put the vacuvin Wine style stoppers on them. What is the consensus on this? It definitely removes all the air from the bottle but I also wonder if this also removes some of the alcohol vapor and if that is more detrimental than having a lot of air in there. Overall I have not noticed any issues but not sure what long term affect this may have.
    I frequently put vacuvin stoppers on wine based liqueur/aperitif/vermouth type bottles (which are also refrigerator if I am trying to keep them past the "use by" date) but haven't done it with liquor so far.

Couldn't hurt I suppose but I would probably need a hundred of the damned things and that ain't happening!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I'll just drink them up and be happy.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Haven't noticed any change in mine that have been opened a year but occaisionally one will taste different than it did originally but I atest that to me and I feel is more related to what I have eaten or maybe just the mood I'm in.