Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Trippah and Admin

Re: Why do bottles improve after opening?

I've had one bottle go south after being open. A 1/3 full OCPR went from sweet to bitter over time. Was very disappointing but I'm happy that it has been an isolated incident.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dcam1075 View Post
    With some of my bottles that are less than half full I have put the vacuvin Wine style stoppers on them. What is the consensus on this? It definitely removes all the air from the bottle but I also wonder if this also removes some of the alcohol vapor and if that is more detrimental than having a lot of air in there. Overall I have not noticed any issues but not sure what long term affect this may have.
    Not a consensus, but I use the vacuvin stoppers as replacements for either loose corks or corks that broke (just to keep the seal). I honestly don't think it does any more than a solid screwcap would do, which in my book is just fine.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Here's my two-cents worth (& that's probably over-estimating it's value):
    I imagine that Bourbon in the barrel, gently breathing over the months, gets 'accustomed' to that amount of air (oxygen), then when it's sealed up in a bottle it quickly 'uses' up the tiny amount of oxygen in the neck and becomes a little 'stale'. This effect is obviously different-to-non-existent in some Bourbons, and a bit more obvious in others. I find it most pronounced in aged wheaters, just my own experience. The only bottle I ever had go significantly downhill after sitting with a lot of air in it was a bottle 4-R limited Edition from about 4-years ago, after about a year of being half-full.

Disciple

The answer is simple. All bottles of alcohol improve after opening, just as all women become hotter after you have drink alcohol. Everything just gets better. Kind like a bottle of shampoo. Lather, rinse, repeat. Uncork, drink, repeat. Keep repeating until you get the desired result.

Guru

I think they get better because they can!

I'd be very interested in what the chemical changes are. Ethanol chemistry is not my specialty but I'm always willing to learn.

Guru

Why does a pour seem to improve in the glass? Same phenomena?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Howdy,

I have bottles that have been open for years with no diminishing returns. Some have only a few ounces in them. I got no worries. Not saying that Oxegyn has no effect over time. Just little or none. And it never goes weird or bad at my house. Just sayin....
    That has been my experience, as well. I don't necessarily think that there isn't any change at all but I think the changes that a bourbon undergoes with airtime is much more subtle than the day-to-day changes that the drinker's palate undergoes.
    Ryan