Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Going to Bourbon Trail for first time

I hope you do not feel like I'm abusing your good graces and generous help - but I am a Planner and I have never been to the South before. And I really want to experience some of the amazing things that Kentucky has to offer. So I'm going to ask for some restaurant advice: on Friday, May 16th we'll be looking for lunch in Bowling Green - somewhere that I can eat in 40 minutes or less. Then Friday night I'll be in Bardstown and would love a great dinner - Southern cuisine - recommendation and a bar recommendation.

Saturday I'll need a 40 minute lunch recommendation right around Buffalo Trace and I don't know what I'll do for dinner - we'll be driving back to Omaha. Maybe something in Louisville?

Truly all - I really appreciate your help. It has been a dream of mine to visit Kentucky and Bourbon Trail. Dying to experience the best that I can.

Connoisseur

Look in the Bourbon Social sub forum. Some of the threads near the top are about the recent Sampler event and if I recall correctly, there are a number of restaurant recommendations in some of those threads. There are also some Bourbon Trails threads over there.

Friday night in Bardstown eat at Kurtz great home town cooking. Don't order the steaks.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater View Post
    I hope you do not feel like I'm abusing your good graces and generous help - but I am a Planner and I have never been to the South before.
    Just don't bring up Sherman, and we won't have any "problems", boy.

Advanced Taster

Get to the Cozy Corner Tavern. It's either in or right near Loretto. Really good Patty Melt and other stuff.

Well, I got back yesterday from a great trip. Drove down in a new Corvette Stingray to visit the Corvette Museum, ate at Kurtz (it was good home cooking!), visited Maker's Mark (beautiful grounds, decent bourbon) and Jim Beam. Jim Beam was a great experience and is home to two of my favorite labels: Booker's and Knob Creek. It was great going somewhere that does such a good job. Made a few other stops but I won't bore you with the details.

And I think Sherman is burning in hell right now.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    dumb question: why is Buffalo Trace not part of the "official" Bourbon Trail?
    As otehrs ahve said, they didn't give an official reason when they left. but there had been all sorts of issues between them and the KDA, including how they felt the KDA handled the lobbying against the barrel taxes in the state. But the KDA charged 10 cents a barrel for membership, and I know BT believes that money is better spent promoting themselves.

I think it's clear they're still reaping benefits from the bourbon trail without paying to be part of it.
    Last edited by ModernThirst; 05-22-2014 at 11:08.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTheater View Post
    And I think Sherman is burning in hell right now.
    He planned his march to the sea from a hotel in Louisville, so he'd probably be pretty happy to see folks driving down to the area today. Kentucky never left the union, but most of the area was very southern, so really, we're just a bunch of really confused bourbon nuts.