Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

JD Single Barrel Today

Haven't had this in quite a while so snagged a bottle at LCBO. Very "fresh", bottled March 31, '15. Rick R-4, barrel 15-1506.

Rich and very bourbon-like, no banana ester at all, anyone tasting this blind would peg it as a 5-6 year old high quality bourbon. Good mouth feel too, the 47% ABV works very well here.

I've had the impression in recent years JD is moving away from the old palate, not a bad thing since the banana-acetone thing often got a bit much, but maybe it's just this particular barrel. Anyway very good and distinctive.

Gary

Guru

Re: JD Single Barrel Today

I haven't had this recently Gary. Your review will make me change that .
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I got a bottle late last year and have been enjoying a pour every now and then. I totally agree with the bourbon comparison Gary.... there's a lot to like about what Jack is doing with this product. In fact, I might even grab it out tonight for a pour

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    Give it a try, JD is doing something I think to evolve the palate either through a different selection process or something else (I recall some kind of change a few years ago but can't remember, was it the white dog formulation, there was something...).

This has happened too often to be a fluke IMO and 10 years ago it never happened, every SB I had at that time had the JD profile I mentioned, if anything more so.

I'll be buying a regular JD soon to see what's up with it.

I wish you guys could taste this SB though, and I don't mean there is only a hint of banana, there is zero. The taste is sweet though and rich with good tangs.

Also, there is none of that "dirt/earth" aftertaste (maybe some people say charcoaly) I recall from much JD in the past.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-13-2015 at 17:23.

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    +1. If there's anyone's palate I trust, it's Gary's. Looks like it's time to buy myself an early Father's Day present
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Enthusiast

I've always liked JDSB more than the other JD expressions. And with the amount that is made, it might (along with Beam) be more resistant to price increases. Here's to hoping anyway...

Enthusiast

The very best thing about JDSB at the LCBO is its price: C$55 out the door (that's about US$45 today). Currently it's on sale for C$50, which is cheaper that you can get it most places in the USA. That is a rare occurrence.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine