Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Jack Daniles Gold no27

The marketing spiel is here:

http://www.jackdaniels.com/whiskey/gold

Picked this up at Sydney Duty Free. Gotta say on the whole, pretty disappointing. The Silver Select at $20 a bottle less would have been a much better choice. The double filtering seems to rob more of the character, with the double barreling not adding anything. It is also 80 proof, so that isnt helping either. On the whole id say it is very smooth, but quite bland. Ill give it another try in a few weeks maybe and write some tasting notes (if any occur).

Disciple

Re: Jack Daniles Gold no27

Gentleman Jack with a maple barrel finish, pretty much... And your description pretty much says the same thing.
    Jim

Interesting. Too bad it's only 80 proof. And too bad its bland. I see they have a barrel aged Rye coming out shortly also from the same link you supplied.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by VAGentleman View Post
    Interesting. Too bad it's only 80 proof. And too bad its bland. I see they have a barrel aged Rye coming out shortly also from the same link you supplied.
    The "rested"rye is out at 2yo as a "work in progress". Come complete with a bunch of bananas!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Gentleman Jack with a maple barrel finish, pretty much... And your description pretty much says the same thing.
    I think it is just the No7 with an additional maple barrel aging. Probably only a few months.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Andre28 View Post
    The marketing spiel is here:

http://www.jackdaniels.com/whiskey/gold

Picked this up at Sydney Duty Free. Gotta say on the whole, pretty disappointing. The Silver Select at $20 a bottle less would have been a much better choice. The double filtering seems to rob more of the character, with the double barreling not adding anything. It is also 80 proof, so that isnt helping either. On the whole id say it is very smooth, but quite bland. Ill give it another try in a few weeks maybe and write some tasting notes (if any occur).

Whoah that was more than the silver select? Gotta love their marketing department

yeah, thats twice now, paid a pretty penny for a gold medal something or other once before. Thats it now. Mix number 7 with coke, or get the SB silver select for on the rocks. Probably wont be for a while though. Ill give this gold another try now and again, but I see it becoming the whiskey in home cocktails like sours or old fashions.

Im just glad I didnt get more than 1. We are allowed 2.25 litres back in the country duty free, so I was seriously considering getting more than 1.