Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Virtuoso

Let us talk about Shrubs, not shrubbery

Good Day All-

I trust you are doing great.

Would love to hear about your cocktails that include shrubs and your experiences with shrubs.

I have only in the last year become aware of shrubs and have enjoyed them but not seen to many bourbon related cocktails that include shrubs. I am currently in the process of making my first shrub and looking forward to trying it out. It was a fairly simple process. I took two cups of raspberries and muddled them with two cups of organic sugar and put it in the fridge and stirred it regularly for three days. Today I added two cups of apple cider vinegar and will be shaking the mix every day for the next ten days and then straining it into a jar and my shrub will be complete.

Here are some other shrub recipes I have found-
    http://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/02/...r-shrub-recipe
    http://www.saltfatwhiskey.com/2013/0...vinegar-shrub/
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make...b-syrup-174072

Best regards, Tony

Connoisseur

Re: Let us talk about Shrubs, not shrubbery

I am a fan. There is a good cocktail bar that makes a cocktail with a shrub made with beet juice and white balsamic that is incredible.
    Epicurean in the ATL - Atlanta-Based Food, Whiskey & Cocktail Blog

Guru

I couldn't help it - as soon as I saw the thread, I started chirping "Ni!" (scaring the crap out of our cats, who obviously haven't seen the movie).

Name:  shrubbery.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  72.3 KB
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Tony, let us know how your experiment turns out. There is a bar near me that does its own shrubs and one is apple based and they use it in bourbon/rye cocktails. Very tasty. I have also seen a bottled shrub called "Clement's Creole Shrub". Have been tempted to give it a go.

edit: here are a couple of the interesting bourbon concoctions from the bar I mentioned.

Jackie Treehorn:
    Buffalo Trace Bourbon,Spiced Apple Shrub
    and Burton’s Maple Syrup

Nice Marmot:
    Buffalo Trace Bourbon,
    Smoked Honey Syrup, Aperol,
    Angostura Bitters and lemon

Shakedown:
    Buffalo Trace Bourbon, Briottet Crème
    de Framboise, fresh lemons & sugar
    Last edited by Old Dusty; 06-06-2014 at 05:10.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

Never heard of 'shrubs' the way you speak of 'em, Tony. My sheltered life leaves me out of the loop in so many instances.
    However this thread reminds me that my own 'shrubbery' in the front lawn is desperate for a trimming.
    The shrubs you wrote about sound interesting, and probably tasty. Let us know how it all turns out.

Guru

I don't know of a lot of drinks that combine a shrub with bourbon or whiskey in general although I am sure there are a few. I see it more with rum and a few with tequila or mezcal. Cherry and apple shrubs would likely work with bourbon.

One I found but have never tried that combines bourbon, mezcal and a shrub sounds like a wild one!

The Prodigal Son

Only thing I am missing is the Habanero shrub so I may see if I can find it.

Clement Creole Shrubb (they use 2 B's for some reason), a rhum agricole based shrub, is a wonderful mixer in rum drinks where it can easily replace curacao, Cointreau or Grand Marnier in most any drink that calls for them. It could probably find a home with bourbon in the hands of a good bartender.

Finding a good bartender who really knows how to create a good drink is the trick of course.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Never heard of 'shrubs' the way you speak of 'em, Tony. My sheltered life leaves me out of the loop in so many instances.
    However this thread reminds me that my own 'shrubbery' in the front lawn is desperate for a trimming.
    The shrubs you wrote about sound interesting, and probably tasty. Let us know how it all turns out.
    Good Day Good Sir-

Head yourself over to Two James distillery, they have a couple shrub drinks available.

http://twojames.com/tasting-room/cocktail-menu/

Best regards, Tony