Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What cocktail are you enjoying Fall/Winter 2014

Tonight, I'm having my first attempt at a "Julian" style old-Fashioned.
    Raw sugar cube
    Several drops of Angostura bitters
    Several drops of Orange bitters
    Orange wedge
    2.5 oz of Pappy 20

1. Place a brown sugar cube on an absorbent napkin or paper towel. Saturate the cube with 8 or 9 drops (not dashes) of Angostura, then of orange bitters. Place the cube in a heavy glass and add the orange wedge. Muddle the sugar cube and orange wedge together for 5 to 6 minutes, avoiding any skin and pith, till all the cells of the orange burst and the sugar melts into a syrup.

2.dd 1/2 ounce bourbon and muddle into the syrup for 3 to 4 minutes. Add a handful of ice cubes and 1 ounce of bourbon. Stir for 30 seconds and decant into a high-ball glass. Add one more 1/2 ounce bourbon and stir three times. Serve at once.

Note: Julian's recipe calls for 107 proof bourbon, but I used my open bottle of 20 Yr on my first attempt.

I know many will consider drinking PVW any way other than neat as a blasphemous act, but it's my bourbon, and i'll drink it any damn way I see fit.

(I did pour myself an ounce to enjoy neat while crafting this cocktail).

Last edited by kjbeggs; 10-29-2014 at 16:25.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Advanced Taster

Re: What cocktail are you enjoying Fall/Winter 2014

So how was it? Sounds pretty tasty but more than 10 mins just making a cocktail seems like a lot of work... but maybe I'm just impatient.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jersey12 View Post
    So how was it? Sounds pretty tasty but more than 10 mins just making a cocktail seems like a lot of work... but maybe I'm just impatient.
    It was quite tasty, although I think it would have benefited from the higher proof.
    In fact, I made a second one, planning to use OWA. When I found out my inventory was off, and I didn't actually have any, I used MMCS. could have been improved mixing skills, but the second one was better.
    They did take several minutes to make, but as I said, sipping on some neat PVW passed the time, and I sipped the finished product slowly, enjoying my work.

Connoisseur

I just saw this in Sean Brock's new cookbook. I think it was also featured on Mind of a Chef, when Brock was on the show. It calls for 107 proof Van Winkle, is that the 10 and the 15?

Guru

I personally find the muddled orange wedge to be a bit much plus it requires some care to muddle and not add any bitterness from the peel. I prefer to add a dash more orange bitters if necessary and dump the wedge! Or perhaps add a touch of orange zest and express the oil from the peel over the drink to get the aroma without as much juice.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

What the free lunch guy said - it's what bitters are for.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I personally find the muddled orange wedge to be a bit much plus it requires some care to muddle and not add any bitterness from the peel. I prefer to add a dash more orange bitters if necessary and dump the wedge! Or perhaps add a touch of orange zest and express the oil from the peel over the drink to get the aroma without as much juice.
    That's similar to what I did on my second one. I removed the peel and as much of the pith as I could and muddled that with Demarara sugar and the bitters.
    When done, I used the peel as you suggested. Definite difference.

BTW, here's a link to Brock's version of the recipe: http://gearpatrol.com/2014/10/24/rec...nkle-cocktail/

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

For a long time I was making the Sazerac but returned recently to the Manhattan. It's an odd thing perhaps with the Manhattan, but I find what works best is not something too woody and matured.

I made one tonight just with Stock red vermouth and Woodford Reserve. It's got exactly the right tangs and richness. I don't really like the Woodford on its own, I can't get past the cookie dough-like taste which I assume is from the Versailles element as aged 5-6 years. But in a cocktail, or presumably with Coke, it is A-1. Same kind of logic applies to straight rye that is 4-6 years old, say. Everything has its place…

Gary

Guru

I had a "hot whiskey" last night. Honey, baby Saz, a pinch of cinnamon, two cloves, and a half cup of steaming hot water. Very nice before bed, but I got a little too much honey.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I had a "hot whiskey" last night. Honey, baby Saz, a pinch of cinnamon, two cloves, and a half cup of steaming hot water. Very nice before bed, but I got a little too much honey.

Tim
    Why didn't you add more whiskey, Tim?

Gary