Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Infor posted on B-F site concerning Woodford Reserve Distillery

I found this posted on the B-F site.
    More detail on name change and tours.
    Woodford Reserve Distillery

Connoisseur

Re: Labrot and Graham to become Woodford Reserve Distillery

nice web page you have there, Mark.

I think B-F is losing touch with reality: charging for a tour in a distillery that can't make the bourbon it is named after.

Disciple

Re: Infor posted on B-F site concerning Woodford Reserve Distillery

From the article Ed posted I saw the following:

At the conclusion of the tour, visitors age 21 and older will be allowed to taste the Woodford Reserve produced at the distillery.

Hmmmm. . . that wording seems a tad dicey to me. . .

TomC

Administrator in exile

Re: Infor posted on B-F site concerning Woodford Reserve Distillery

Hmmmm. . . that wording seems a tad dicey to me. . .
    So that's how they will get rid of the pot stilled whiskey; Give it to the tourists

Enthusiast

Re: Infor posted on B-F site concerning Woodford Reserve Distill

From the posted URL at Brown-Forman:
    " The second tour is the "Woodford Reserve 'Corn to Cork' Tour," and it will
    lead guests through an in-depth examination of the mechanical, chemical,
    technical, and sensory aspects of producing bourbon. "

To me, that's awesome. I'll gladly pay $5 to get the nitty gritty tour.
    I'm very glad they're offering separate tours: fluff for those who want
    it, and the real deal for the real Bourbonian.

Again quoting from the website:
    "...and a new archive building that will provide bourbon aficionados the
    opportunity to peruse historic articles and photographs (by appointment...)"

And that's great, too. "By appointment" keeps out the casual tourist,
    but they're allowing the amateur "afficionado" in.
    If we're lucky, they'll use this a real archive, and it'll be a nice
    resource.

Tim Dellinger

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

BF Press Release

The Brown-Forman Press Release

LABROT & GRAHAM DISTILLERY NAME CHANGED TO WOODFORD RESERVE DISTILLERY

New Veranda Opened; Food Service Expanded; New Tours Offered

Louisville, KY, October 28, 2003 - Brown-Forman announced today that it is changing the name of its Woodford County distillery and visitor's center to The Woodford Reserve Distillery, Labrot & Graham Proprietors. The change is being made to recognize Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey's status as the top-selling small batch bourbon in Kentucky and one of the fastest-growing bourbons in the country.

Brown-Forman is also expanding the features and amenities available at The Woodford Reserve Distillery. A spacious new picnic veranda has been added to the visitor's center, allowing up to 70 guests to take in the beautiful natural scenery of the grounds while savoring the culinary delights of chef-in-residence David Larson. And for the first time since the facility's opening in October 1996, distillery guests will now have the opportunity to sample Woodford Reserve, the bourbon that has earned gold medals as "best bourbon" at several international spirits competitions. In addition, a total of three different tours will now be offered so that consumers who want to learn more about bourbon and its impact on Kentucky can have a choice of activities:

The "Woodford Reserve Bourbon Discovery Tour" includes a guided educational session with one of the distillery's knowledgeable guides. Visitors will learn everything from the history of bourbon to the making, maturation and bottling of Kentucky's finest whiskey. At the conclusion of the tour, visitors age 21 and older will be allowed to taste the Woodford Reserve produced at the distillery. This tour will be offered whenever the distillery is open and reservations are not required.

The second tour is the "Woodford Reserve 'Corn to Cork' Tour," and it will lead guests through an in-depth examination of the mechanical, chemical, technical, and sensory aspects of producing bourbon. This option will be of particular interest to bourbon connoisseurs, as well as those simply wishing to learn more about the complexities of creating a small batch bourbon like Woodford Reserve. This tour will be offered on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m. Reservations are required for this tour and can be made by calling 859-879-1934.

The third tour is called "The Woodford Reserve Distillery: A National Landmark Tour," and it will feature information on the cultural and architectural evolution of the historic facility and its impact on Kentucky's heritage. The Landmark tour will be offered on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 11:30 a.m. and reservations are required (859-879-1934).

There is a $5.00 charge per person for each of the tours. Anyone under the age of 18 will be admitted free of charge.

Other new features at The Woodford Reserve Distillery include rotating exhibits in the visitor's center of such nearby attractions as Shaker Village and a new archive building that will provide bourbon aficionados the opportunity to peruse historic articles and photographs (by appointment; call 859-879-1934). Guests will also be able to register for special events that are part of the "Woodford Reserve Bourbon and Bluegrass Series," including the annual Woodford Reserve & Chocolate affair, the Christmas at Woodford Reserve celebration, and the Woodford Reserve Picnic on the Porch.

The new tours will be offered and the other changes fully implemented on November 5, 2003.

The Woodford Reserve Distillery is open year-round Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and open on Sunday from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. from April through October. The facility is closed on all major holidays.

Brown-Forman is a diversified producer and marketer of fine quality consumer products, including Jack Daniel's, Southern Comfort, Finlandia Vodka, Canadian Mist, Early Times, Woodford Reserve, Fetzer and Bolla Wines, Korbel California Champagnes, Lenox, Dansk, and Gorham tableware and giftware and Hartmann Luggage.

Re: BF Press Release

One note, one suspicion:

The tours are free for those 18 and under -- or too young to sample the product. In other words, if you're an adult, you're paying for your sample at tour's end in advance.
    And, can't help wondering if these changes are the source of B-F's suit against Barton Brands -- don't want to dilute the name as it takes its rightful place, don't you know?

Guru

Re: BF Press Release

Yep that was the first thing I said as well. That may be a nice distillery but I can do w/o having to drink the woodford at the end. My hope is that other distilleries do not see that many people don't mind getting bent for the 5 bucks and then they try and charge as well. Sometimes a little resistance to change is a good thing even if one feels otherwise...