Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Is there a good reason for distributors to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Why should any producer need retail delivery trucks? Just allow the USPS to carry their products right to your door for a WIN/WIN/WIN/LOSE/LOSE (USPS/producer/customer/retailer/distributor).
    Common carrier is expensive. If a store wants to order a bottle of something from a distillery, it would probably cost $10 + packaging and handling. It would be next to nothing if it shipped by the pallet to a distributor and then came off the delivery truck to the store with the Cheetos, for example.

In an efficient supply chain, retailers will only stock the required inventory. They don't want to buy a couple cases of Bulleit and sit on it for months if they don't have to. If they sold 1 bottle today, for the sake of example, they want to order 1 to replace it. In fact, they don't even want to have to order. It just shows up from the distributor because they're tied into the store's inventory. That's how Walmart works.
    My Whiskey Review Blog: Whiskey Lately

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The issue, remember, isn't whether or not distributors have value. Of course, distributors have value. But should producers be prohibited from selling directly to retailers, as they are now. That's the issue.

A change would mainly benefit big retailers and big producers. Brown-Forman could supply Jack Daniel's to Walmart much more efficiently through the Walmart distribution system. Some may argue that the current system is better, then, because who wants to improve things for Jack Daniel's and Walmart, but those people would be communists.

I was inspired by this threat to write this blog post. Thanks, everyone, for the good idea.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Some may argue that the current system is better, then, because who wants to improve things for Jack Daniel's and Walmart, but those people would be communists.
    That made me laugh...pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I was inspired by this threat to write this blog post. Thanks, everyone, for the good idea.
    I saw that and noticed that a couple of other posts may have been inspired by SB.com And people say that SB.com is irrelevant...http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/201...#comment-90173
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

I would go one further - producers shouldn't be prohibited from selling to anyone if they chose to - skip around the entire chain including retailers and sell directly to customers if they feel it is in their economic interest to do so.

Smaller volume producers could benefit if they couldn't find distributors willing to take them on, as would small volume one-offs from large producers which might create a new market segment. Producers could still avail themselves of the economies of scale of distributors (or direct to big-box retailers if they wanted) for their large volume products.
    Mark

Is there a good reason for distributors to exist?

But let's not forget that amendment to our constitution giving states the right to govern alcohol any way they want.

Our government and country was not built on "path of least resistance". Checks and balances?!

Efficiency be damned. There is almost no room between a politician and easy tax dollars.

Virtuoso

Agree with you there Eric. Find something that doesn't appear to make sense and tax revenue and political contributions are likely at the root.
    Mark

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    That made me laugh...pretty funny.

I saw that and noticed that a couple of other posts may have been inspired by SB.com And people say that SB.com is irrelevant...http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/201...#comment-90173
    Thanks for posting that as I missed it. I avoid blog and news comment sections as they are the cesspool of internet thought.

Mr. Bryson tries to remain neutral in his comments, but I did notice that he called it whiskey in his description and not bourbon. Quite the tell, IMO.

I can be entertaining to read anonymous replies to blog posts that act as though the format is the height of intellectual discussion.

It also appears that Jim W. got his feelings hurt here at some point.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

It also appears that Jim W. got his feelings hurt here at some point.
    It reads more like he got his panties in a wad.

signed,

just another SB whiner

Trippah and Admin

Since Ohio has promised future liquor profits to fund a job creation organization for something like 20 years, the chances of private liquor sales here (which would be needed for any change in distribution to have an impact) are basically nil.

Making distributors optional would be an interesting experiment in free market states, though.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

I almost made mention over there the fact that Journeyman distills to 180, and that would be another strike against this being bourbon, but no one franking cares anyhow. They're good guys , DAMNIT!!!

Sorry, back to distributor talk...