Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 5/14: Woodford Reserve

Sorry I'm late again folks. I'd been thinking a lot on just what to pick for BOTM. It ain't gettin' any easier ya' know. I'm going to go with a suggestion from one of our members. It was pointed out to me that we have lot's of new members. So, going back and revisiting some BOTM's that haven't been done in a while seemed like a good suggestion. Thanks Flyfish.

There has been some discussion about Woodford Reserve/Brown Foreman on the boards lately. It's a bit ironic that at least one of the things being talked about currently, had been brought up back when WR was the BOTM in July of 2006.

Not much from me again. I'll only say that to me, WR is just an okay bourbon. (Price? Ehhhhhh.) But IMHO, I think it used to be much better when it was all BF distillate. I don't get the "copper penny" flavor when I taste WR, but it seems some folks do. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the combination of their yeast and copper pot distillation just aren't to my liking. Who knows?

Just for kicks, I though I'd post Jeff's comments when he chose WR as the BOTM back in 2006. His post is below.

Cheers and happy posting! Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    The re-opening of the Labrot and Graham distillery was an exciting occasion for lovers of Kentucky bourbon. Not only because it was the first "new" distillery opened in recent memory, but also owing to the 3 beautiful copper pot-stills that would be producing more of Kentucky's finest. Initially produced from honey-barrels of Old Forester bourbon brought to Woodford County from Louisville to finish aging, Woodford Reserve was a hit from day one. Fast forward a decade and Woodford Reserve is a constantly evolving product containing both pot-still bourbon distilled on site and bourbon produced in Louisville. Will Woodford Reserve eventually contain 100% pot-still bourbon? That remains to be seen, however what they are doing now seems to be working.

Join us now in a discussion of Woodford Reserve, both current and previous conjurations.

Sound off
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Re: BOTM 5/14: Woodford Reserve

Nice choice Joe, and one us Aussies can participate in I'm off to the shop this evening to pick up a bottle!

Advanced Taster

I think standard Woodford has arguably the best nose in bourbon. This is the bourbon that started my hobby. The butterscotch/raisin combination is heaven in a bottle on the nose. The palate...while tasty, it never quite lives up to the nose for me. There is something slightly rough on the mid-palate that just seems a bit off balance.

Guru

I like it but not enough to pay a premium. I agree it was better when it was 100% Louisville distilled, or at least I liked that more than later versions.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I agree with Squire, it used to be better. Price wise, it doesn't seem as expensive as it used to, given the rising cost of everything else. Saw it for 31 and change today and thought....well that's not too bad. Never used to think that.

Novice

This is the bourbon that got me into bourbons three years ago. With the coming of age, sadly and happily the palate changes for the better. I will agree with other members that it is OK juice, though a little expensive for what it is. Not quite the JaMarcus Russell of whiskey (that razzie may have to go to the Sinatra Select), it is a letdown for me considering I can get Four Roses Single Barrel for $33 locally... decisions, decisions...

Advanced Taster

Can those of you who spoke of a differing distilling arrangement for Woodford please comment further....I thought this stuff was a mix of the Versailles pot still distillate and the Old Forester facility. Both are Brown-Forman, correct? I'm very confused.....

Enthusiast

Gets ignored often. You won't see it on my shelf much, I'd rather buy OF100, but it is enjoyable. I think it is one of the more syrupy bourbon's out there and for that reason, I think it does great in cocktails. It can still hold its own neat, too. I may buy a bottle since Woodford has invaded my facebook with the "Woodford Way" advertising. Hate them to spend all that money to target me and I not buy a bottle.

Enthusiast

It's just "meh" to me. Not bad, not great. There's several others in the same price range I prefer.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Gets ignored often. You won't see it on my shelf much, I'd rather buy OF100, but it is enjoyable. I think it is one of the more syrupy bourbon's out there and for that reason, I think it does great in cocktails. It can still hold its own neat, too. I may buy a bottle since Woodford has invaded my facebook with the "Woodford Way" advertising. Hate them to spend all that money to target me and I not buy a bottle.
    Yeah, poor Brown-Forman spending all this money on marketing for no return...

This pretty much says what I think. I will take OF Signature over Woodford, all day every day, for 2/3 the price at a higher proof. I've tasted them blind side by side before and I did prefer the WR, but man, not by much.

I think the distillery, the bottle, everything about WR is kind of gimmicky. I would really like to see an 8 or 10 year OF at 100+ proof instead.

Also, that Woodford Way commercial during the Derby sucked.
    Jim