Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 2/15: Stagg Jr.

Well, I finally came up with a BOTM. Better late than never.

It's the middle of winter now. What better way to ward off the chill than with a pour or two of Stagg Jr.?

FWIW, I'm gonna put my two cents worth in for a change.

I gave up on GTS after 2011. For me, the depth of flavors to be found in GTS were just too hard to reach because of the heat/proof. For some unknown reason, when Stagg Jr. came out in 2013, it really interested me. I thought it might be better than it's big brother. Cheaper too. I bought a bottle from the very first batch. Darn! Same old story. It was okay, but it was tough for me to get by the proof. That was the last bottle I ever bought. Now to possibly reverse course a bit. I've been out and about a bit the last few weeks. I've had pours of Stagg Jr. at a couple of different places recently. Maybe I've changed, or maybe it's my palate, or maybe it's the Stagg Jr. itself. Who knows? The pours I've had recently were decidedly better than what I remember my bottle tasting like two years ago. The nose had that slight musty rick house smell that I like in a bourbon. Lot's of flavors going on too. Hints of leather, light pepper, cocoa and caramel/pecan. Pretty darned good IMHO. I know where I can grab a bottle or two, but I'm just not sure I want to shell out $60 for a bottle. Oh well. (sigh)

Cheers to y'all, and happy posting.

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 2/15: Stagg Jr.

60 bucks????? wow!!!!!! I saw a place up here in the Great White North and it is going for $89.99. Im tempted to pick up a bottle because of the hype of Stagg. Is it really worth it?
    The B's of me: Beer, Bourbon, BBQ, Blues

Regards:
    Rob

Guru

I am also on my first bottle, having bought it the first time I saw it. I was super excited about this one, probably the most anticipated new release that I can remember, which didn't help it (I mean - living up to the hype would have been challenging). And the hype wasn't their fault - it was primarily self-induced I paid $50 for that bottle, and was underwhelmed. I think that ECBP coming out prior (and for $39!) moved the bar, and kinda spoiled it (or me!) But I've revisited it after many months, and found it to not be quite as hot (although it isn't tame by any means!) The price has gone up, and shelling out $60 would be a stretch for me. While I do enjoy it - it isn't a must have in my book, and I nurse my Stagg Sr enough that hopefully I'll always have some of that on-hand
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

I like Stagg, Jr. for an 'on-the-rocks' pour. It's a little harsh without the ice or a good bit of water. I have noted subtle differences from batch to batch; but all of the ones I've tried share that slightly harsh quality; not just the high proof; more like somewhat unpolished or unfinished...? Anyway, for a bit more coin than ECBP, I'd have to say it isn't my first choice, and that seems to be the closest comparison. But, I guess, since I do own several bottles, and all but one are opened; I like it well enough to drink it once in a while... usually over a good-sized cube... and enjoy it quite well.

Connoisseur

I usually bottle up a 750mL of Stagg Jr diluted down to 100 proof. I've always been a BT fan so this suits me well. I'll pick up a bottle whenever I see it reasonably priced, which seems to be fairly often here. Not too much price gouging on this one for the most part around here. It's never that hard to find, either, which is nice. Certainly not as hard to find as ECBP here, which never even gets to a shelf like Stagg Jr does.

Virtuoso

I bought a bottle of batch 1 in the fall of 2013 as a consolation for sleeping on the BTAC release an missing out. The hype was far too much to live up to, but it was still the closest thing I had to Sr. so I did enjoy it from time to time. When I finally was able to get ECBP a few months later, my opinion of Stagg Jr. dropped a bit due to the value comparison so it languished on the shelf for a while. Then, I had the idea to start mixing in some standard BT and voila, it was back in the rotation as a favorite pour. The BT brought the proof down and softened the hard edges of JR. I finished that bottle quickly. I'm currently on my second bottle of batch 1 and it's rougher so I'm going through it slower. I have a bottle of batch 3 open as well, and that one is pretty nice on it's own.
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Advanced Taster

Hi Fishnbowl,
    Just curious if you tried this one with water. I found that it stands up to a fair amount of it without getting drown out. It is plenty complex and strong and at BP the water really enhances things.
    Last edited by Merrymash Monk; 02-07-2015 at 14:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrymash Monk View Post
    Hi Fishnbowl,
    Just curious if you tried this one with water. I found that it stands up to a fair amount of it without getting drown out. It is plenty complex and strong and at BP the water really enhances things.

The one bottle I had, I tried neat first. Then I added a little water, then more water, etc. Then I tried it with some water and a few cubes. Just couldn't seem to make it work. The pours I had recently were with a few cubes. They were just fine and dandy.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Haven't tried it yet and with my new local price @ $89.99 doubt that I will but to those that do like it enjoy.

Disciple

I got a bottle of the first batch. It was pretty hot and a little harsh (as noted by Rich) without diluting either with ice, water or, my preference, BT. I tried to take it down to between 100 and 105 proof. I found the profile to be very similar to CEHT once I got it down in that range. I paid $39.99 for my bottle, I think. I ended up not replacing it. Mainly, because it disappeared for a while and then when it reappeared so did ECBP. I seem to recall the price being $49.99 the last time I saw it but that has been several months ago.

I understand that later batches are a little more refined. It seemed like the first batch required a little work to find a sweet spot to enjoy it. I found it and think it is worth another purchase in the future. I am not certain that I would pay more than $49.99. However, the way prices are going up, finding it at that price or even slightly higher might be difficult in today's market.