Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 1/15: Wild Turkey 101

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone! I'm starting out this year pretty much the same as I have in the past. Better late than never. What can I say? At least I'm fairly consistent.

The BOTM to start off the New Year is Wild Turkey 101. This one's for you Paul.

Not much from me on this one. It's sad to say, but it's been a while since I've had a bottle of this around. My only thoughts (mostly from memory) are that this is a pretty decent bourbon. It's taste isn't eye popping or outrageous, but it's also far from dull. I think that I can safely say that to myself, and probably a few others, WT 101 is in that category of bourbons (still) considered a "value" pour. All in all, a darned nice bourbon, still at a mostly reasonable price.

There ya' go. Let's hear what y'all have to say about Wild Turkey 101.

Cheers, and once again, a very Happy New Year to one and all.

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Re: BOTM 1/15: Wild Turkey 101

Happy New Year Joe. Great pick and since I'm without a bottle I'm getting one this week!

Disciple

Great way to start the new year off Joe! I've always had a turkey (or two) around, so this gives me a good reason to open one up.

The last one I opened didn't make it though the evening, so wish me luck!

Enthusiast

I am working my way through a bottle bought about 2 years ago (just got down to the last 1/3). In general I like it for its boldness and particular sort of spiciness in the finish, which reminds me a little of clove and nutmeg rubbed on leather. I always wonder what this expression was like 25 years ago or so, and whether it would be my favorite standby. As it is, there is something that keeps me from loving it. Hard to describe, but it seems like a plastic sort of quality in the background and around the edges, and it's as much a texture as a flavor. Maybe an ester thrown off by the yeast? I'd love to know.

Virtuoso

Oh yes, this one is a standby for me. I love me some Stagg and other BTAC, Van Winkle and Willett. At the same time I hold a very high regard for WT101. For me it brings a lot of flavor at an absolute bargain price - sub $20 before tax. The last bottle I had, a 375, had an unusually creamy mouthfeel that made it even better than usual. I have a couple of these stashed for easy availability. I've also been hunting down the older age stated bottles and love those quite a bit too. Those are a finite offering and will be cherished, but when gone, I'll still be very happy with the current offering (as long as it stays the same price).
    Steve

TT: Everything goes better with a little OGD114.
    squire: Amen...............

Connoisseur

When I began my bourbon journey, I dove into WT with RB which I think is very good but priced a bit high close to $40 around here. I recently realized that I had never tasted WT101, so that had to be rectified. I had the choice of going with a 750 for around $22, 1L for around $28, or go all-in for a 1.75 around $40. So I bought the 1.75. All-in-all, I think WT101 is a very good bourbon, and I can see why it has so many fans (as well as some detractors). It's big, bold and brash, but quite good IMO.

In online searches, I've come across 1.75's of WT101 close to $30 in some parts of the country, which I think is a steal for bourbon of this quality. At the seemingly common price of $20 for a 750, it is worthy of being a staple IMO. Glad I gave it a try.

Enthusiast

Along with Dant BIB and KCSB, WT101 is a staple in this house. I always have a bottle on the bar. I love the honey notes that most all WT products have. This one is no exception.

Virtuoso

WT101 always in the house. It's just hard to beat for the price, and IMO, it is far better than some pricier bottles.

Connoisseur

FWIW, there are a couple bottom and mid-shelfers that I keep in SHORT supply. WT101 is one such. It seems that, when I buy a bottle or two, it's always gone when I go looking for it. If I kept it around, between it and OGD BIB, I'd need a wheelbarrel to haul my liver. I'm only partly kidding - it is that drinkable.

Guru

I like WT101. Not the best bourbon, and far from the worst. It kind of sets a bar against which to measure other bourbons as a result. Its quality stuff, proofed right, priced right, and is easily available. Every restaurant or bar you go to is practically guaranteed to stock it, so its always a safe bet when out. For what it is, I can say lots of good stuff about it, and nothing negative.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.