Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 5/14: Woodford Reserve

Off topic, I know... I have no information other than my own palate, but I would bet OF Sig is closer to 8 than 4. I'm not convinced that an 8 year age statement would improve it that much.

On topic, WR was like the second or third bourbon I bought when I was getting back into it. I remember how light it was compared to EC12. I ended up using it up in mint juleps; it really mingled well with the syrup.

I should get another bottle for sours.

Advanced Taster

It's been a long time since I've had WR. It was early on in my bourbon exploration and I recall not liking it at the time. This about when I was trying (and enjoying) Bernheim Wheat and Gentleman Jack. Probably should revisit WR again, but alas my whiskey fund has been cut for the time being....plus I have 7 bottles of bourbon open anyway (amongst other things...).
    Rye junkie

Guru

I would cut back on the other things to free up funds for Bourbon.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Novice

All this talk is going to force me to go out and buy another bottle. I buy about 1 bottle of WR a year around Derby time for mint juleps, nostalgia I guess. It gets polished off rather quickly in juleps and I haven't had it any other way in years. To the liquor store!

Enthusiast

I find Woodford Reserve to be pretty decent, if maybe a bit boring. The Double Oak expression, on the other hand, I like a lot. That finishing gives it the extra character that's been missing. Lots of caramel on the nose and palate. I don't know if I'd pay $50 for it regularly, but I do enjoy it.

Enthusiast

The last bottle I bought was a year or two ago, and it was thin and metallic. I tried vatting it, which didn't work either. I kind of gave up on it, but I should probably give it another chance.

But to Joe's point, I agree that WR is popular. Rightly or wrongly, they've built a successful and popular brand.

Disciple

As for me I've tried a couple bottles and the taste meter registers from meh to bad. Just not my thing even if it was under $20.

Connoisseur

I've tried WR a number of times. I even got a bottle as a Christmas gift one year. I think it's ok. Like several others, I much prefer Old Forester 100. Even if they were the same price, I prefer the OF. My impression has been that Woodford is variable. Some bottles seem better than others. I've tasted the "copper penny" taste. Others were just more like OF in a fancier bottle. Given my rather ambiguous opinion of WR, I've never seriously considered any of the limited edition bottles; Masters Collection or whatever.
    Last edited by PaulO; 05-07-2014 at 07:10.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    It's not that the bourbon tasted like urine, it's really more of a note like a stick of juicy fruit gum that has been soaked in a glass of urine.
    OK, you're obviously changing too many of your little ones' diapers! You go and tell MrsAaron she's going to have to take over, as it's ruining your whiskey time.

I'll admit, I drink WR infrequently. Primarily, my intake of it is on Delta flights, as it is their bourbon on the plane. I enjoy it well enough, and would not turn it down if offered. The thing that I do very much admire about the brand is it's distinctive "house style". Undoubtedly, the pot still influence makes it singularly different than any other bourbon on the market, to my tastes. Frankly, it's one of just a couple of bourbons that I think I could routinely guess in a totally blind tasting. But, I have the palate of a Mack Truck, so...MMMV... To me, it's always been cantaloupe rind, rather that copper penny...but same notes regardless. It's this distinctiveness that I most appreciate, and hope they don't move away from.

Funny, thinking about Aaron's urine quote...I remember folks getting "fresh diaper/Pampers" (or something like that) on the nose when describing the '09 (?) Old Forester Birthday Bourbon some years ago...Maybe, it's not the Versailles influence after all!

BTW, I recently posted about getting much the same nosing notes on Green Spot Irish, as I do on Woodford...I thought they were very similar.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Taster

I think WR is a really decent pour but the price is steep for what it is. Sometimes I'll pick up a 375ml bottle for 14.99 on sale. I wish more bourbons were available in half-size bottles. Sometimes you want to try something new but not pay for a 750ml bottle. So I give BF credit for making this size available.