Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 5/14: Woodford Reserve

Didn't know if my sarcasm was coming off or not so I hope you picked up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I would really like to see an 8 or 10 year OF at 100+ proof instead.
    I know it ain't the same but the BB fills that role nicely. I am sure some well picked 8 year old barrels would be perfect though.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Didn't know if my sarcasm was coming off or not so I hope you picked up on it.

I know it ain't the same but the BB fills that role nicely. I am sure some well picked 8 year old barrels would be perfect though.
    Yep, it was loud and clear.
    Jim

Virtuoso

I used to think WR got an undeservedly bad rep on this board. Then I tasted it blind after not having had it for quite awhile. It really hit me badly in the blind tasting session, with a nose of juicy fruit and urine, a thinly sweet palate and a finish with notes of formaldehyde. There was a sickly sweetness to it. It was just one tasting session, and I couldn't say whether I would have the same revulsion drinking it non-blind on another day, but I certainly have no reason to seek it out. If I ever see it sitting on an open bar, I'd probably pour a little just to satisfy curiosity.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    with a nose of juicy fruit and urine
    Well, I'm out. It's been a long time since I had WR and I had thought about revisiting it, but now I'm afraid that, whether there or not, I would think I'd be smelling urine. Maybe I'll just wait for an opportunity to smell someone else's!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by horn1602 View Post
    Well, I'm out. It's been a long time since I had WR and I had thought about revisiting it, but now I'm afraid that, whether there or not, I would think I'd be smelling urine. Maybe I'll just wait for an opportunity to smell someone else's!
    Horn, I hope you meant "smell someone else's - Woodford"...
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by horn1602 View Post
    I've never had bourbon that tasted like urine. But, as with asparagus, I have had urine that smelled like bourbon. But only on really good days.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kjbeggs View Post
    Horn, I hope you meant "smell someone else's - Woodford"...
    Ha! Should have read closer. That is what I meant. Today.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    I've never had bourbon that tasted like urine. But, as with asparagus, I have had urine that smelled like bourbon. But only on really good days.
    It's not that the bourbon tasted like urine, it's really more of a note like a stick of juicy fruit gum that has been soaked in a glass of urine.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    Can those of you who spoke of a differing distilling arrangement for Woodford please comment further....I thought this stuff was a mix of the Versailles pot still distillate and the Old Forester facility. Both are Brown-Forman, correct? I'm very confused.....
    "In the beginning…." Just kidding. I've just always wanted to say that. Sorry, just having a little fun. I'm also going to go ahead and apologize in advance for my long winded reply here. I readily admit that I was in a bit of a hurry to get the BOTM posted. That's one of the reasons I didn't have much to say in my original post.

When WR was first introduced in 1996, it was all BF distillate. Supposedly the barrels used, were hand picked, "honey" barrels. I tend to agree with this. I've tasted a couple of very early WR's. One was from batch #16, and I think the other was from a batch in the #20's. Those tasted like a 90.4 proof, dusty Old Forester BIB. Very good stuff IMHO. As the bourbon being produced at WR/LG came of age, they started mingling the two. I seem to remember reading somewhere, that as time went on, more WR/LG bourbon was used in the mingling. I don't think anyone is really sure of what the percentages of the two distillates are, or have been.

From Jeff's original post: "Will Woodford Reserve eventually contain 100% pot still bourbon?" I myself, am unsure if WR will ever be all WR/LG distillate. WR is a fairly small place. The capacity of the pot stills is more than likely not a problem, but I think the capacity of the warehouses is. There are only 4 or 5 warehouses at WR. I just don't see how they can do it, unless they are renting warehouse space elsewhere, or aging barrels in Louisville. Another thing to consider, (regardless of what some of us here on SB and/or elsewhere might think) is the popularity of WR. WR is popular, and it is available pretty much everywhere. I kinda wonder if WR/BF will begin to start having the same problems as some of the other distilleries. WR basically only makes one product, so I'm guessing they aren't as apt to experience the types of shortages that some distilleries are now experiencing. Who knows for sure?

FWIW, I have a bottle of WR from batch #36 that I've had for a few years now. I've hesitated in opening it because I'm pretty sure it will be just as good as the other early batches that I've tasted, and because it's the only one I have. I just might have to buy a current bottle of WR, and open it and my older bottle and do a side by side. I'll post if I do.

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Wow. I've never tried a WR product and after reading this thread...I want to buy a 50mL to see what all the bad fuss is about.