Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 5/14: Woodford Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I used to think WR got an undeservedly bad rep on this board. Then I tasted it blind after not having had it for quite awhile. It really hit me badly in the blind tasting session, with a nose of juicy fruit and urine, a thinly sweet palate and a finish with notes of formaldehyde.
    I got formaldehyde from the only bottle of OF100 I've purchased. It dissipated after a week or two, though. Was your sample from a newly-opened bottle?

I bought a half bottle of WR, batch 130, I think, a few days back. On the first day it was absolutely delicious, a great combo of high rye and malty notes. Now it's completely changed, still malty but lacking any spice at all. So sad.

Virtuoso

I'm on the fence with it. I like it a lot sometimes and other times I wonder why I ever thought it was good. I don't buy it often because I think its too pricey for a bourbon I can't convince myself is good/I like enough.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I'm on the fence with it. I like it a lot sometimes and other times I wonder why I ever thought it was good. I don't buy it often because I think its too pricey for a bourbon I can't convince myself is good/I like enough.
    This sums up my feelings perfectly.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

Hmm. I'm traveling at the moment, but have some plans to do some Woodford Testing back at home before the next BOTM comes out.

I too am suspicious and interested about changes in the taste of WR over time. I found a bottle from a year ago recently, but haven't picked it up yet. This is a good excuse to try a back to back comparison.

tbt

Advanced Taster

I remember hating whiskey for many years because I had never tried anything outside of Jack and Beam White. Woodford (and Maker's) was the bourbon that allowed me to taste something drinkable, so I appreciate it as a gateway bourbon. It provided the difference between Jim Beam White and "good" whiskey. After jump-starting my bourbon interests last year and tasting 25 other bourbons, Woodford and Maker's taste young, thin, and boring. It's a simple as that. These popular bourbons don't suck per se, there just happens to be better tasting product out there at better prices. Where I live Woodford is $35, I can think of ten bottles I would rather have instead. The great thing about bourbon is the $25-$30 price range, what I call the sweet spot for my wallet and palate.

If anything, Woodford exists as a popular gateway bourbon. If it wasn't for the Woodford's of the world many of us would not be here. It's a bourbon you've heard of that you go on to compare other bourbons too. Once you start branching out, your gateway bourbon becomes less interesting. That's how it goes with many things.
    -Guy Debord

Virtuoso

It's not bad, just over priced. I have a dusty bottle of VG that tastes similar to me but given that it was less than half the price of WR it's much more enjoyable! I did pick up a bottle of WRDO when it first came out and enjoyed it, but not enough to purchase a replacement.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Quote Originally Posted by amg View Post
    I find Woodford Reserve to be pretty decent, if maybe a bit boring. The Double Oak expression, on the other hand, I like a lot. That finishing gives it the extra character that's been missing. Lots of caramel on the nose and palate. I don't know if I'd pay $50 for it regularly, but I do enjoy it.
    I like woodford mainly because it's a decent drink that's different than all the others. and the double oak is better, lots more wood in the woodford. if they priced it about 30% lower I'd drink more.

Enthusiast

The local Total Wine sells WR for $21.99. I think it is a pretty good value at that price. I don't think it is worth it in the $35 range like it is at most places.
    -SOB-

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    The local Total Wine sells WR for $21.99. I think it is a pretty good value at that price. I don't think it is worth it in the $35 range like it is at most places.
    At that price, I would stock it for guests who are impressed by the name/image. In OH, it is $34--rather steep for bourbon that I can't drink with enthusiasm. Unless, of course, I happen to be the guest of someone who is "impressed by the name/image."
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Well, my wife bought a bottle of WR for me today. Gonna give it another whirl and see what happens. I'm not sure if I'm gonna open my older bottle and do a side by side or not. We'll see.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"