Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Taster

Re: BOTM 5/14: Woodford Reserve

I just can't get in to this bourbon. I have never cared for it every time I have tried it. On the other hand, my wife seems to like it fairly well.

I recently had a tasting that it was a part of and it finished dead last out of 5 bourbons. I picked JBW ahead of it.

Advanced Taster

It's been a couple years since I had Woodford last. I do remember it being a decent pour yet, like many others, I cannot justify the added cost compared to many other good bourbons. That Price to Pleasure Ratio again,

Enthusiast

I can't really hate on Woodford, but I've seen it at some pretty egregious prices at times. When it goes on special, and I'm out, I usually buy a bottle. I think it's recognized enough that people tend to ask for it. I think it's pretty accessible to a lot of people, especially those who wouldn't be caught dead adding water to a higher proof whiskey (after all, drinking whiskey should be about being a MAN and "TAKING IT", right?!). 90 proof is about as high as you want to go for these people ("Old Grand Dad 100? Wild Turkey 101? Those must be for drunks!").

About the flavor? I think it's got the most depth and caramel of just about any mass-market bourbon out there. I don't like the acidity and heat that comes with it, though. I can see why it's popular. It's a great gateway bourbon, and I also think it stands up pretty darn well in a mixed drink. And the bottle is really pretty.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Well, my wife bought a bottle of WR for me today. Gonna give it another whirl and see what happens. I'm not sure if I'm gonna open my older bottle and do a side by side or not. We'll see.
    C'mon Joe, you know you want to!
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    C'mon Joe, you know you want to!
    I'm gonna pass Pete. I think I'll be keeping my older bottle of WR in reserve for a while. I've been having a pour here and there of my recently purchased WR. This is one bourbon that has me mystified. It's not awful, but I'm pretty sure I won't be buying another bottle. It just doesn't do anything for me at all. IMHO, I guess you could call it lackluster. I can see no reason to compare something uninspiring, to something I know is good. What can I say?
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I'm yet to buy my bottle (slack I know), but I've always wondered, does it compare to Old Forester at all?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    I'm yet to buy my bottle (slack I know), but I've always wondered, does it compare to Old Forester at all?
    Yes this as well. I have not had a Woodford in years. I was a huge fan when I lived in Louisville around 2004-2006. I've shied away from it in recent years because of the price difference vs other bottles I enjoy.

I recently came across a stash of the Old Forester Repeal bourbon. I bought a bottle and deeply enjoyed it for the price. ($10 a 375ml) So I went back and bought several more. Its been so long, I don't really know how it compares to the Woodford I enjoyed back in the day.

How does the current Woodford compare?

Advanced Taster

I'm finally back in Houston and I'm going to do a comparison between the 2010 and 2012 derby releases on Saturday night.

tbt

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

An interesting and telling tidbit that I picked up in the Brown-Forman results that Joe posted in the "Industry News" area...B-F's COO reported that 2013 marked the 18th consecutive year of double digit sales growth for the Woodford Reserve brands...

That is a remarkable run for any business. Even more so when considering that the run plowed through the crash and Great Recession in 2008, and a reoccurring sentiment on these boards is that it is over priced.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

It's gotta be the purty bottles Joe!

Seriously though, I think it works because it appeals to a market that feels that it's a clean, modern bourbon that doesn't have the stigma of an old "grandpa's rotgut" brand that's considered old and dated. It also doesn't hurt that it has a great name!