Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

This is Why I Love SB.com :-)

This afternoon while driving home, I was struck with the question of "Why isn't FRSB labeled as Bottled-in-Bond? Wouldn't it qualify as such?" I started to create a new thread (ok - I did that anyways ) to pose my question but decided to search a bit first. BAM - ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ottled-in-bond

Ok - no exact answers, but loved reading the back/forth on the topic! I'm going to e-mail Four Roses to see what they say (my guess is that Josh is right about their going with "Single Barrel" over BIB as carrying more weight; although Henry McK puts both on the label, which doesn't seem to hurt it). If I get a reply with any substance, I'll share it. Just wanted to thank SB.com for being what it is
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Re: This is Why I Love SB.com :-)

Daryl, I hope you at least pulled over before you started to create a new thread...
    right there with you though. There are times, I've been in a liquor store and seen something I'm not entirely familiar with, so I just check sb.com right there in the store and usually get some good intel.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Advanced Taster

I just assumed it was more that bonded isnt seen as mandatory for a trustworthy quality product nowadays, and we all know the in things are barrel selects, small batches, distillers selects, reserves, etc. Guessing marketing just decided single barrel was more in nowadays for sales.

Advanced Taster

Marketing can only do so much, at the end of the day its the bottles contents , not its labels, that's important. they could make cleanskins and I'll still buy them!

Connoisseur

BIBs restrict the distillers' options. I don't think recent trends just represent bourbon fashion statements. Achieving a given flavor profile is easier if you can mingle product from different seasons and bottle it at the proof that meets your marketing objectives.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

I agree with FlyFish, I think the distillers want to de-emphasize the Bottled in Bond phrase because it limits their options. Single Barrel Straight Bourbon at 100 proof is Bond in all but name.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

I've learned quickly not to judge a book by its cover, and it doesn't require the BiB statement to be good. All I know is I only cracked open a FRSB a week ago for the first time since getting into this, and its quickly become one of my favorites. So with or without the BiB, its 100pf and insanely delicious (to my newb palate). Doesn't hurt that just yesterday the states monthly sale list went up and FR1B is 4 or $5 off per bottle. Time to buy a few (more).

Connoisseur

Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

4R Single Barrel was 86 Proof at one point was it not?
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Trippah and Admin

That's the export version. It has been 100 proof since I bought my first bottle in KY back in 2007.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?