Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,287

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    I have read in a couple places that Talisker and Mortlach are the major components in Black Label
    Thx! Make sure you knock TequilaTourist on his @$$ for me next time you see him
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  2. #12
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    539

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    Wow! What a strange nose and palate on this dram. I can now see why people call it "meaty", it just has an old flavor to it that I can't really identify but I guess "meaty" works. With a drop of water that flavor smooths out a little and I get some smoke? It's a smoke that I've never tried before but seems in the same league as the AW Glendronach 1993 olorosso, more of an earthy smoke. I don't know, what an interesting dram.

    IMAG0660.jpg
    Last edited by MtnDew; 05-09-2014 at 17:07.

  3. #13
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    883

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Thx! Make sure you knock TequilaTourist on his @$$ for me next time you see him
    Told you it was a good month for Mortlach to be FWotM.

    I've got a 15, 25 and a couple of 22 samples that I'm going to dig into on a night TBD.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  4. #14
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,287

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Told you it was a good month for Mortlach to be FWotM.

    I've got a 15, 25 and a couple of 22 samples that I'm going to dig into on a night TBD.
    Well, thanks to a *VERY* generous SB'r, I'm groovin' on some K&L Faultline Mortlach 25 - 60.6%, #987



    It's like Mortlach & Rosebank had a baby... well done to the crew @ K&L, Mortlach, et. al!
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 05-09-2014 at 23:47.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  5. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Damn close to the the 45th Parallel
    Posts
    2,588

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    I need to revisit it again, but this Mortlach 15-year-old SMWS 76.82 was really impressing me a few weekends ago when I tried it a couple times one night. It appears to have only been bottled in the 100ml introductory sample size in the SMWS welcome kit which is a real shame as I'd love to have bottle of it to work through.
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 05-10-2014 at 23:09.
    C

    "everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

  6. #16
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,127

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    GBS will continue our dive into the malt world with our next meetup on the 17th. We'll ravage and plunder Bruce's Mortlach collection and report back on our impressions...Will their MD be the next to Hold the Phone?...
    After our Deep Dive on Saturday night, GBS is pleased to report that our overall impression of Mortlach is pretty good. A few iterations were tasted, but the 22yr seemed to really shine for most members. However, there was a member, or two, who once after picking up stewed prunes in its profile, began a sprint to the lavatory, thinking it was morning.... Keep that in mind y'all for your future retirement years...
    Nice to have a reason to look into what was an unknown whiskey to me, in this FWOTM.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  7. #17
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,287

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    After our Deep Dive on Saturday night, GBS is pleased to report that our overall impression of Mortlach is pretty good. A few iterations were tasted, but the 22yr seemed to really shine for most members. However, there was a member, or two, who once after picking up stewed prunes in its profile, began a sprint to the lavatory, thinking it was morning.... Keep that in mind y'all for your future retirement years...
    Nice to have a reason to look into what was an unknown whiskey to me, in this FWOTM.
    I should probably strap on a set of "Depends" for our next PNW get together then

    Which 22yr Mortlach did you guys have?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  8. #18
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,127

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I should probably strap on a set of "Depends" for our next PNW get together then

    Which 22yr Mortlach did you guys have?
    Well CW, if you're reaching for the depends, you must already know which one it is!!

    It was the Chieftain's from K&L.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  9. #19
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,287

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Well CW, if you're reaching for the depends, you must already know which one it is!!

    It was the Chieftain's from K&L.
    That's one of my favorite bottlings of Mortlach - if I had better sense back then, I would have bunkered up deep on it.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  10. #20
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 05/2014: Mortlach

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    That's one of my favorite bottlings of Mortlach - if I had better sense back then, I would have bunkered up deep on it.
    As would I. The GBS crew put a serious hurt on that bottle!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Foreign Whisky of the Month - 01/2014: Glen Garioch
    By Virus_Of_Life in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 14:10
  2. Foreign Whisky of the Month - 04/2014: Glendronach
    By Virus_Of_Life in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 23:23
  3. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 04-18-2014, 21:17
  4. Foreign Whisky of the Month - 02/2014: ..... ?
    By Virus_Of_Life in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-25-2014, 15:35
  5. Foreign Whisky of the Month - 01/2014 - ???
    By MtnDew in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 12:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top