Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Hello from Sussex, UK..

Long time lurker here. Love the forum, enjoy reading your comments, reviews and tastings and I'm forever adding items to my wishlist, though being in the UK things are a little more expensive (and by little I mean a lot, in comparison to the US) and a little rarer outside of what can be obtained easily, but I do my best!

My stash currently contains:

Wild Turkey 101
    Makers Mark
    Elijah Craig 12yr
    Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (1st batch)
    Stagg 2013
    Widow Jane 7yr (was in NY recently, really enjoyed this so I picked up a bottle)
    Michter's 10yr SB
    Knob Creek 9yr
    Woodford Reserve
    Elmer T Lee
    Balcones 5th Anniversary SB (1st release)

There's also a bottle of baby Sazerac in there too. It's a relatively small stash, but things don't generally last too long if I like them...

So, hello from across the pond! I need to start learning these acronyms...

Guru

Re: Hello from Sussex, UK..

Welcome b. It amazes me how much an increase in price bourbon has overseas. Shipping cost should not be that high. So is it tax?

Apprentice

Yeah I believe anything over 30% requires "excise duty" (tax), plus VAT (20% of item value) which increases the cost dramatically. I have laughed to myself on a few occasions reading the forums where members have refused to pay an amount for something, only for that increased amount to be a fraction of the cost of what I'd have to pay on a good day. But that said, it's not going to stop me buying it and there's little I can do about it, so ce la vie.

Connoisseur

Welcome. Nice list. Frankly, I'm surprised at its breadth. About the acronyms - as I recall, there's a sticky thread (aka - a thread that never dies) with a list under either "New to" or "General" if you haven't found it already.

After 40+ years of bourbon, I finally learned to drink lowland whisky from over your way. Your thoughts on those, posted in the "other spirits area of SB, will be devoured by some (lots!) of us.

Apprentice

Thanks!

The range we get is obviously less than what you guys get, but there's still a good variety of stuff that we do get, it has to be said. I'm lucky in that I commute into central London (Soho), where I have 3 or 4 good stores nearby that, whilst mainly specializing in single malts, have a good selection of bourbons.

Guru

Hey beasled, welcome aboard.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

Welcome aboard fellow Commonwealth citizen! Looks like you have a pretty good bourbon stash already considering you're not in the US. Wish I had access to ECBP myself

Apprentice

Thanks guys, appreciate the welcome!

Guru

Welcome to SB! You sure have a nice little stash going there, given the difficulty in tracking down the bottles you desire. Time to seek out more ryes, and don't forget to grab some WT Rare Breed and Four Roses Single Barrel if you can find them at a reasonable price.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Apprentice

I am yet to try either WTRB or FRSB - both on my wish list.

May have to be next month though... one of my local haunts has a fresh load of ECBP and EC21...