Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

What's the Most Typical Rye You Can Think of?

A few folks asked me to recommend the most typical rye I could think of, for a tasting. I thought, oh, sure, that's easy, it's ... What? It's kind of hard to pick just one, so in the interest of maybe also generating a fun afternoon conversation here, I thought I'd throw it out to the crowd. What do y'all think? Price is sort of an object -- needs to be under $45 or so. And if it matters, it's going to be paired with 4R Small Batch, Larceny, and Dickel Single Barrel. Have at it -- and I appreciate it.

Connoisseur

Re: What's the Most Typical Rye You Can Think of?

If you had posed this question a year ago, I would have said WT 101. Since it's not very typical now, as no one can find it with all the 81 proof posers out there, the question is a little more difficult to answer.

One thing for sure is that Lawrenceburg rye is everywhere and in everything. So, yeah, it's pretty typical. Now to pick one of them....hmm....I'd say Dickel Rye. The price is right, it's easy to find and it is a true expession of a typical rye.

Enthusiast

Maybe Knob Creek Rye? That way you get another major producer in there too.
    Andrew

Disciple

Great question. Given the fact that Indiana is often easier to find than Ritt and Baby Saz, and Turkey has lost their mind, do we dare say that LDI Rye has become the more prevalent style? Therefore, is it now the standard? Bulleit is everywhere.

For me, I would say that Ritt is too soft and round, Baby Saz is too medicinal, Beam/OO simply sucks, so WT101 was my old standard. Sadly, we all know what happened with that.

Disciple

Damn, Paddy. I was still typing when you posted.

Disciple

Under $40, RITT, Baby Zaz, and Dickel

Advanced Taster

First choice would be Baby Saz, but for most typical (and available) i'd say Bulleit.
    Birth, School, Whisk(e)y, Death!

Connoisseur

The Willett 4 year (sourced version w/ wax) is pretty good representation of the LDI style and typically at 110 proof. The James E Pepper NAS is also LDI at 100 proof. Both are decent options if you want something with a little higher proof. Both should be under $40. The Dickel vs Bulliet would be fun to compare due to the "Charcol Mellowing" in the Dickel stuff.

Guru

Is MGP the most typical or simply the most prevalent? If that's the choice just pick your color, I vote Dickel.

Historically speaking of the Ryes currently available, I would choose Rittenhouse as being typical of the traditional style and I believe it would complement the other brands in the tasting as well.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    The Willett 4 year (sourced version w/ wax) is pretty good representation of the LDI style and typically at 110 proof. The James E Pepper NAS is also LDI at 100 proof. Both are decent options if you want something with a little higher proof. Both should be under $40. The Dickel vs Bulliet would be fun to compare due to the "Charcol Mellowing" in the Dickel stuff.
    Hmm, Bulleit versus Dickel rye. No doubt essentially the same stuff prior to the Lincoln County/Coffee County/Plainfield, Illinois process being done to it. Almost happened this week at the Wednesday tasting. But easy enough to do at a Wednesday testing coming soon at a friendly liquor store back storeroom near you!*

*Near you if you live in NE Atlanta anyway...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum