Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2014 Release Michter's 10 Year Rye?

This stuff seems to be slowly popping up. Whatever one thinks about the company, the last release was really stellar, likely CoK rye. Anyone have experience with the new stuff or any idea of the provenance? I think I just ordered 2 online and will happily share my thoughts when they arrive, but if it is like the previous, I may have to lay in some more.

Disciple

Re: 2014 Release Michter's 10 Year Rye?

Just had my first taste this weekend. Did not have the earlier release so I can't compare but this one is a real rye. I much prefer it compared to WP or Jeff.

OK. Just opened one. This is nice, but I'm guessing 10 years and 0 days old. Has a bit of the nose of the old Medley and Cream of Kentucky ryes but more subdued. Palate is hotter, sweeter and less sour/woody than the prior Michter's 10. I'm going to guess, as predicted that this is DSP354 rye and is close to the 10/100 Rittenhouse I've been asking for. Just wish it were cheaper. At this point it is in the category of the CEHT rye of unusually decent/good ryes in a tough market that I can actually get but are too expensive.

Disciple

Agreed. I do like this one and the CETH but doubt I will buy another of either at these prices. To me High West Rendezvous and Baby Zaz taste as good and at a much better price point.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I have it and like it, but it tastes like Indiana to me. Very big mint.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Interesting notes. Typically Indiana would taste like big corn. Or big pork tenderloin.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I was prepared for this to be LDI, but I'm finding it a bit more bourbon like. As you've recently discussed, labels are often deficient in naming the state of distillation, but I don't see Indy on the label. Maybe Joe shared something with you? Either way, it was better after being open a day.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

No, that's strictly based on taste. For all we know it's Barton, i.e., Fleischmann's, in which case we have nothing to compare it to, as the Fleischmann's itself is so young. I know some of the High West rye is Barton's. A lot of mint suggests a lot of rye, more than the minimum of 51 percent.

I still have mixed feelings about Michter's. They've been very gracious to me. I respect their seriousness about what they're doing and they have an excellent product. They've gotten more responsible about how they represent their 'history,' but I still have the issues I have with any NDP. I do accept that contract distilling is qualitatively different from bulk, but I don't buy their 'cooking in someone else's kitchen' analogy.

Have to agree with you re Michter's. When their stuff is good, like the original 10 y rye, it was very good, but their marketing has pissed me off as well. If they are indeed contract distilling it would be nice if they told us more about their specifications or mashbill, or in what other way it is different from bulk.

Had not thought about Barton, and never got my hands on the HW16, which is the only unalloyed straight Barton they put out. Either way, I hope the original distiller releases something similar and cheaper. It's getting hard out here for an aged rye fan.

Apprentice

Frankly, the marketing noise doesn't bother me. I think it's all rather interesting to watch.

What I don't like about Michter's is they watered it down under 85 proof. Why!?