Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: 2014 Release Michter's 10 Year Rye?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Frankly, the marketing noise doesn't bother me. I think it's all rather interesting to watch.

What I don't like about Michter's is they watered it down under 85 proof. Why!?
    85 proof seems a bit low, mine is 92.8 and other bottles I've seen with different barrel numbers have been the same.

Disciple

I seem to remember the std rye being 85 but I thought both it and the 10 yr were just meh and when you factor in the price way south of meh. Just my $0.02.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
    85 proof seems a bit low, mine is 92.8 and other bottles I've seen with different barrel numbers have been the same.
    The 10yo Michter's rye that I have is also 92.8 (the 10yo Bourbon is 94.4). Decent but could be better. At around $75 or so the first one I bought was quite nice. Then again it was one that was rumored to be an older whiskey in the bottle. Not that I know for sure one way or the other! As it gets up to and beyond $100/bottle and the source of the whiskey remains a mystery I tend to be less interested.

I also got one bottle of the 10yo bourbon out of curiosity and one seems to be more than enough for me at present!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    I seem to remember the std rye being 85 but I thought both it and the 10 yr were just meh and when you factor in the price way south of meh. Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The 10yo Michter's rye that I have is also 92.8 (the 10yo Bourbon is 94.4). Decent but could be better. At around $75 or so the first one I bought was quite nice. Then again it was one that was rumored to be an older whiskey in the bottle. Not that I know for sure one way or the other! As it gets up to and beyond $100/bottle and the source of the whiskey remains a mystery I tend to be less interested.

I also got one bottle of the 10yo bourbon out of curiosity and one seems to be more than enough for me at present!
    The price really does push the bottle into a whole different category with expectations. Is it 3X better than my other favorite rye, WT101? No way. That being said, I did enjoy the previous release more than the current bottling from memory but the new one really has grown on me. The nose and taste has changed for me over time. There was a period I really felt "meh" about it but the few couple weeks after I revisited it, a nice viscosity with subtle layers of dark caramel, mint, evergreen forrest grassy flavors and a bit of chocolate on the palate makes me want another pour. I figure the mashbill can't be more than 60-62% rye due to the "bourbon-like" taste. My initial response was to not buy another bottle due to price, but after thinking it through, I like it enough to justify the cost especially since it's not easy to more bottles.

I haven't tried the 10 year bourbon yet, but also have a bottle from 2014 stashed away.

Enthusiast

I feel the same way: at first "meh, ok" and then a few weeks later it starts to go deeper. Which is exactly the opposite I have with many whiskies; at first too tight and "yuk" only to "open up" and broaden with time and air.

But I'm not getting the mint you guys are. Drinks more like a bourbon at this point.

My guess is Michter's is buying barrels of whatever they can get their hands on from MGP, Barton, KBD, etc then vatting until they have something they like, then dumping a batch of barrels into SINGLE BARREL(s) (used), letting them sit overnight, then knocking it down with water and the bottling it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    But I'm not getting the mint you guys are. Drinks more like a bourbon at this point.

My guess is Michter's is buying barrels of whatever they can get their hands on from MGP, Barton, KBD, etc then vatting until they have something they like, then dumping a batch of barrels into SINGLE BARREL(s) (used), letting them sit overnight, then knocking it down with water and the bottling it.
    Definitely drinks more like bourbon, the mint is very subtle close to to the finish before it gets to the oak char. At least that's where I always pick it up. I also think there's a good chance it's a vatting. Occasionally I get a tiny bit of LDI in it, however lately I'm not noticing it. That flavor was more noticeable the first week I opened it, and it was slightly off putting. That's when I put it in the back shelf so I wouldn't be reminded how much it cost me, and now it's move up to the middle slots.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
    My bad. My Michter's Rye isn't the 10 year.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Michter's is not "buying barrels of whatever they can get their hands on" for the 10-year-old and NAS bottlings. That whiskey is the result of their contract distilling program, which is just a little more than ten years old. Everything age-stated that's above 10 years is still "whatever they can get their hands on."

Enthusiast

Ok, Colonel.

I do remember something that someone said or heard about that...maybe...at some point....about that. But that, in a nut shell, is Michter's for ya isn't it? I just assumed they were bidding on the spot market as that seemed the most logical. If they're not sourcing the actual booze but rather handing their 'recipe' over to someone to have it made for them, at the end of the day - to me at least - they're just a label (or just another rebadged faker).

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think making a distinction between contracted and spot market is fair. At least with contract you have consistency. I do not, however, accept the analogy Michter's uses of 'cooking in someone else's kitchen.' Having someone else make your product under contract is not the same as making it yourself.