Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: 2014 Release Michter's 10 Year Rye?

Fair enough, considering the relatively high regard many have for those wheaters that are contract distilled at BT. Michters seems to be aiming to be Brown Formans Van Winkle.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyobsessive View Post
    Michters seems to be aiming to be Brown Formans Van Winkle.
    Never had the Van Winkle but if this Michters is a knock off I haven't missed anything. Of course just my $0.02.

The michters 10 and VW ryes are now nothing alike. The older michters 10 rye is amazing, was bought on the spot market and is in many ways similar to the VW.

What I meant was that the branding approach (prestige label contracting with a major distilled) was is becoming similar.

The new rye is fine, but is worth no where near $100 IMO. The old one was, this stuff tastes like older, but lower proof rittenhouse.

Enthusiast

I'm probably the lone person who is enjoying the current bottle but the other day I walked into a store I've never been to and saw they had a lone bottle on their shelf. Took a look at the price, $189.99... As much as I do like it, that's absurd.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyobsessive View Post
    The michters 10 and VW ryes are now nothing alike. The older michters 10 rye is amazing, was bought on the spot market and is in many ways similar to the VW.

What I meant was that the branding approach (prestige label contracting with a major distilled) was is becoming similar.

The new rye is fine, but is worth no where near $100 IMO. The old one was, this stuff tastes like older, but lower proof rittenhouse.
    I recall some speculation about whether B-F would do a rye on their own when Ritt production shifted back to HH. Sounds like they have some older stock but maybe not enough to support a new brand. A 10yo Rittenhouse style rye, whether it comes from B-F, HH or is contract distilled for Michter's would certainly be interesting but at more like $40 or maybe $50 a bottle, certainly not $100.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Exactly my thoughts. Of course we don't know for certain it's B-F, but I sort of hoped the colonel would slip and tell us.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    A 10yo Rittenhouse style rye, whether it comes from B-F, HH or is contract distilled for Michter's would certainly be interesting but at more like $40 or maybe $50 a bottle, certainly not $100.
    Or more like less than the price of 12 year old Elijah Craig.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Or more like less than the price of 12 year old Elijah Craig.
    Given the smaller volume being made and lesser availability of aged rye and the current environment I could live with $40 for an age stated 10yo or so quality rye from a reliable and known producer. Probably isn't going to happen though. Hell, I would buy more of the CEHT rye if it were priced at $40 and it probably isn't even close to 10 years old.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
    Took a look at the price, $189.99... As much as I do like it, that's absurd.
    Considering avg wholesale price, it's damn good money for the store.

A small family run LQ I go to had never heard of any of the "high end" Mich stuff until I suggested it to them. So they eventually got a few cases which I took off their hands. Also asked about the 20 yr and one came in not too far after. They typically retail for $385 to $425 and most stores are happy to let them sit until they eventually sell as it's little risk, money is nothing to a handful of regulars that would be into it and the profit is too handsome.

Point is, someone will buy that 10 rye for that price no problem. No your or I, but if this is a "bubble" than absurdity and irrationality are certainly a strong driver behind the run away prices.
    Last edited by BootsOnTheGround; 07-25-2014 at 13:06.

Enthusiast

As luck would have it, I dropped by a local bar for lunch and a drink. Originally I went in to have a pour a Vintage 21 year rye but then I saw a Michters 10 year 2014 release on the menu. Looking up at their shelf, I noticed two bottles open so I asked if they had a bottle with a barrel number other than 14. She brought down barrel 7G1, which I think is either from 2012 or 2013.

This brings back some memories now, the nose and taste is much more rye forward with hints of dried fruits, maybe figs. It's not as sweet as 2014, a slightly drier feel with a little caramel, charred wood that is probably giving that slighty bitter dry taste. And I mean this in a good way. Overall it's not as young and "spicy" tasting as the newer bottle, but the mouthfeel seems thinner even though both are the same proof. I also feel that the 2014 is a bit more balanced, but this may not be a good thing for since I'm using the description for bourbon. I've mentioned it previously and others agree the new release is definitely more bourbon like.

It's too bad that my interest in ryes wasn't as keen when these were released. I would buy a case on the spot. At least I know where I can go to for another pour.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406335374.044331.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406335386.230821.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BootsOnTheGround View Post
    Point is, someone will buy that 10 rye for that price no problem. No your or I, but if this is a "bubble" than absurdity and irrationality are certainly a strong driver behind the run away prices.
    I'm sure eventually it will get picked up because of this bubble. I've got one more stashed away and that's it, no more money for Michters!