Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: In London for a week

A couple months ago, I saw a photo that had an Old Joe (Peyton) 375ml and an Old Hickory 12 or 20 yr (can't remember which) bottle. It was taken in a liquor store by someone's parents visiting London. If you see these bottles, please contact me. My grandfather was the manager of Old Joe in the 50s and was the bottling manager of Old Hickory in the 60s and 70s.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    James, I remember you! You are an Indy guy right! I wonder if you can snag something that is available only duty free or overseas like a Four Roses product or Blantons' Gold or Straight from the Barrel. Not that I would know since the only foreign countries that I have been to are Canada and California.
    I am certainly going to look! Not sure how much space I will have, but if I do, I will do my best to store a bottle for you. Speaking of which, how many bottles are you allowed to bring back into the US? I'm going from London over to Germany for a few days, so technically it would go from the UK to Germany back to the US.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by joboyd View Post
    I am certainly going to look! Not sure how much space I will have, but if I do, I will do my best to store a bottle for you. Speaking of which, how many bottles are you allowed to bring back into the US? I'm going from London over to Germany for a few days, so technically it would go from the UK to Germany back to the US.
    Like most things having to do with spirits and US laws the rules are idiotic. I think you are limited to 1 liter per person duty free. Although they rarely seem to care about bringing in a couple of bottles. Of course you can bring in more but you may wish to declare them and pay duty to avoid the risk of confiscation. I don't think the duty is all that much but I don't know for sure as I may have forgotten to declare mine in the past...

Although the last couple of times I traveled they seemed to be checking more closely. It might just be hit or miss. Atlanta had just opened a new International terminal at the time and it wasn't that busy yet so maybe the customs guys were just bored...

So I might declare if I have a large number in the future.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Thank you guys for the recommendations. The Whisky Exchange was great. A relatively small store with a tremendous selection. The overseas-only Blanton's were great, but highly expensive. Roughly $200 for the Silver and about the same for an EH Taylor Straight Rye.

Because of that, I brought home some Yellow Spot, Nikka from the Barrel, and Nikka Coffey Grain. I brought home a couple of small bottles of a 33-year-old speyside, but haven't tried it yet. Luggage weight was a tremendous concern, so I would've bought far more had I not had two weeks worth of clothes on me!

Sorry I was unable to help anyone out. Next time I'll take no clothes and leave room for whiskey instead!

The Whisky Exchange had some amazing products...vintage Ardbegs I'd never seen before, extremely old Macallans, and Japanese stuff I'd never seen nor heard of before. Highly recommend checking them out if you're in the area. They gave me a glass of Glenfarclas 25 just as a thank-you for my suggestions in Kentucky (a few of the guys behind the counter are headed to Buffalo Trace this fall...tried to steer them in the right direction!). Great folks!

Novice

Glad you found some decent pickups here. Apologies for the ridiculous prices...