Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Johnnie Walker Spice Road

I had some of this tonight. Dear Lord in Heaven this is bad stuff. If Captain Morgan and Johnnie Red had a baby this is what it would be.

You can smell the caramel coloring as soon as you open the bottle with what seems to be vanillin, chill filtered, blended, bottled at 40%. A friend of a friend brought it over for our scotch night. He's the new Waingro. Not as bad as the last friend of a friend who brought Red Stag to the scotch/bourbon night!

Guru

Re: Johnnie Walker Spice Road

It's the thought that counts doesn't apply to someone who wasn't thinking.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Wow, thats harsh. Oddly enough I actually enjoy the Spice Road version and found it worth the $40 it cost me for a 1L. I occasionally enjoy a Black Label and find this much better, more peat with a little more depth to it. No where near as good as Green Label but still tasty. I have not tried the rest of the explorers club and I don't plan on it, but I did not find the spice road nearly as bad as you did.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Wow, thats harsh. Oddly enough I actually enjoy the Spice Road version and found it worth the $40 it cost me for a 1L. I occasionally enjoy a Black Label and find this much better, more peat with a little more depth to it. No where near as good as Green Label but still tasty. I have not tried the rest of the explorers club and I don't plan on it, but I did not find the spice road nearly as bad as you did.
    I just get sooo much over the top E150A caramel taste. IMO if you're going to the Duty Free, spend an extra 15 bucks and get the Macallan Select Oak...

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Green Label. I also love me some Black Label. Perhaps I'm being a bit overly harsh. I guess Compass Box has ruined me with the quality of their blends and has raised my standards!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Enthusiast

Sorry, when I posted the review, I had been drinking. I know that's no excuse.

(but seriously, to people who haven't had it -- do yourself a favor and pick up something else at Duty Free!)

Oh and don't get me started about the Dalmore.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Not to derail this thread, but had to look up E150a caramel. I see that it's basically caramel coloring like in Coke, etc. It has a flavor? If so, is it added to some scotches to impart flavor? Or, just to darken up the whiskey? Is it in many scotches? Is it's addition noted on the label?
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 05-25-2014 at 12:48.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Not to derail this thread, but had to look up E250a caramel. I see that it's basically caramel coloring like in Coke, etc. It has a flavor? If so, is it added to some scotches to impart flavor? Or, just to darken up the whiskey? Is it in many scotches? Is it's addition noted on the label?
    The intention is supposed to be to just add color. Some producers say they use it to keep each batch looking the same from batch to batch and no doubt some also to try to give the impression of greater maturity although they aren't likely to admit to that. The coloring is used in many spirits that allow color to be added. Rum is another good example and probably some tequilas (and some craft whiskey no doubt).

Some debate about what if any influence it has on flavor in spirits. I think most people feel it doesn't add to or change the flavor.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/pos...in-Whisky.aspx

http://www.dramming.com/2012/02/16/c...fying-a-demon/

There are a few people on the fringe that think it will cause cancer. Aren't there always? Well I suppose anything might cause cancer if you consume enough of it so I probably wouldn't eat a dump truck full of it. Otherwise I expect you are OK. It is just overheated sugar after all.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Great articles, tanstaafl2. I guess it's not the caramel coloring itself I taste in it, after all!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Yes, thanks for the links Bruce. I saw that master of Malt one while snooping around. Interesting subject. I see their is quite a debate in the scotch community over its use. Probably a 30+ pager here on SB if the practice were to be used in Bourbonia!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama